Menu

Could someone with know-how/experience with weightlifting/strength training answer a question?

Laurie4b

I am currently doing 3 days of significant strength-training. I need to cut back one of the three sessions into something that won't totally leave me wiped out but at the same time will contribute to strength. (My goal is adding muscle mass so I have something "in the bank" as I age.) 

Could you take a look at the current routine and suggest an abbreviated version for a short-day? I need to be able to hike 2 hours on that day AND do the strength training. Here's the routine: 

Upper: Push-ups (I am doing these as incline push-ups right now working my way down to a full body push-up. I'm currently 8 inches off the ground for a chest push-up and probably 24 inches off the ground for a triceps push-up. I do 2 sets of each. 

Incline Rows:  2 sets

incline Shoulder extensions: 2 sets 

Biceps curls: 2 sets

I do some rotator cuff exercises, which I'll keep b/c they are not tiring. 

I am thinking maybe skip shoulder extensions and biceps curls? 

Lower: (Note: my quad strength is maxed out. My hamstrings are only about 1/3 the strength of my quads, so I have to keep the hamstring thing going!) 

Deadlifts: 2 sets

Goblet squats: 2 sets

Single leg deadlifts: 2 sets

Kickbacks on the cable machine

Combo of glute bridges and clamshells with a resistance band

I need to keep the deadlifts. What else should I keep? 

Other suggestions? 

Can you switch out one of your strength days for an intense core/body weight day? You can do a thousand different types of planks that work core, glutes, adductors, abductors, arms, chest and shoulders- basically everything. Lol!

Then add different lunges. I like to use sliders for both plank and lunges. You can get a lot of variety really easily. If you don't have sliders, you can start with just paper plates to get the same effect and see if you like them.

Half hour of those and you get a great workout.

• Like 2

Make sure you are eating enough also. If you want to gain weight-even muscle weight-you must eat more than you burn. This includes carbs. It is a myth that muscle gain requires all protein and no carbs. Remember that food gives you the energy you need to lift and live life. I'm sorry for harping on this if it's not something you struggle with but I see so many women think that they can make significant gains on a 1500 calorie per day diet of kale and chia seeds.

Check out the Facebook page for Girls Gone Strong. It is a great resource for lifting and eating for maximum gains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Make sure you are eating enough also. If you want to gain weight-even muscle weight-you must eat more than you burn. This includes carbs. It is a myth that muscle gain requires all protein and no carbs. Remember that food gives you the energy you need to lift and live life. I'm sorry for harping on this if it's not something you struggle with but I see so many women think that they can make significant gains on a 1500 calorie per day diet of kale and chia seeds.

Check out the Facebook page for Girls Gone Strong. It is a great resource for lifting and eating for maximum gains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I will definitely check out their FB page!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Today, I did a 2 hour hike, but did most of my strength training first. I worked at home and settled on Deadlifts, hip extension with a resistance band, and combo glute bridge/clamshells for lower, and 3 sets of incline push-ups and 2 sets of rows for upper. I'm tired, but not excessively so.  Next time, I'll leave out the hip extensions, I think. I may do some eccentric push-ups tonight. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 1