Menu

Help me interpret these CTOPP scores? Updated :-)

She took it after two weeks of Barton 1 daily, and I think it shows! Blending and segmenting nonwords is very good (75th and 84th percentile). Memory for digits is high, but everything else was low, with all rapid naming really low... How do we work on that? I'm uploading the results here, hopefully you guys can see it.

She's definitely dyslexic, categorized as "severe." But I already knew that...

post-48052-0-50251600-1456283402_thumb.jpeg

post-48052-0-50251600-1456283402_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Esse Quam Videri

You're going to need to google CTOPP composite scores to see how to interpret them.  When I do, CTOPP handout.docx - ABScohort1  I find things like this.  It says that for the standard scores (SS), the mean is 10 and the deviation is 3.  For the composites, mean is 100, deviation 15.  

So then you're looking for scores where she is outside those ranges (SS is 6 or less, composite is less than 85) OR where there is significant discrepancy from IQ.  For instance, if her IQ is 130 (pulling number from hat), then a composite that is 2SD (30) below that would be significant, irrespective of whether it's objectively low.  Diagnosis by discrepancy is allowed in some states and not others.  Technically the DSM no longer includes diagnosis by discrepancy.  Nevertheless, that's how you would do it.  

So your answer is that it depends on her IQ.  It seems like the only thing that is flagging objectively low is rapid naming, and that can occur with other diagnoses.  She may have low processing speed or word retrieval issues.  Has she had a speech eval or had any speech issues?  And did she have the WISC to give you a processing speed and IQ?

To work on RAN/RAS, you want the dot pages I've shared in the past.  You'll find the link if you search.  I haven't moved them.  To google site search for them you put in your terms ( ohelizabeth ran/ras pages dropbox, something like that) and site:welltrainedmind.com  Love site searches.   :)

PS.  Congrats on your success with Barton!!  Sounds like you're doing great and have evidence to show it!!  If you can't find those RAN/RAS ages, holler.  I have dots and numbers.  I would start with the dots.  There's also software, but the dots are cheap and work fine.

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

You asked about how to work on her 'low rapid naming'?

Where 'names' are stored in our right Temporal Lobe, behind our right ear.

Which uses the same model as a filing cabinet.

So that it forms layers of categories, and then folders inside the categories.

Then puts 'names' in their relevant folders.

So that when we go to retrieve a 'name'?

We find it in same way that we would find it in a filing cabinet.

Though it is a complex filing system, with 'things' filed under various categories/ folders.

For example, if you think of 'things that are red'?

It opens a mental folder of things stored under red.

Then if you also add to this, a search for 'things that are sweet'?

So that you look into mental folder of 'sweet' ?

While you may have many things stored in each folder?

If you then look for a 'thing' that is both folders?

Red and Sweet?

Or maybe we replace the 'Sweet',  with 'things that grow on trees'?

Where we have a mental folder, for things that grow on trees.

But inside this folder, we can have a sub-folder. Which just has 'things we can eat, that grow on trees'.

Though what I would highlight, is what is behind this 'Rapid Naming'?

Where we don't simply 'dump' a new word into our brain?

Rather, we add it to different relevant folders.

But with 'Rapid Naming' tests?

For example with her difficulty with the Rapid Color Naming' test?

What I would raise here?

Is the difference between 'finding the Color folder', and not being able to name the Colors inside the folder?

As opposed, to a difficulty with 'finding the Color folder'?

So that in regard to how to wok on this?

What I would suggest, is to focus on 'category recognition'?

Instead of practicing naming letters and digits?

To present her with a page of mixed letters and numbers?

Where she just states whether it is a 'number or letter'?

It would be interesting to see whether she is quite slow with this, and finding which category each is under?

Where practicing 'finding the categories', might make it easier to find and name letters and numbers?

• Like 1