Menu

Anyone want to do a frog project this year?

No frogs or eggs to report here (Canada) yet. We have also checked out a few local ponds on nature walks and have not seen any sign of frogs there either, so it may just not be time yet.

If we find frog eggs somewhere wild should we put some in our pond, or is that a bad idea?

In other years we have seen a single frog twice ever. I'm just hoping they can find the pond.

our frogs usually put themselves there, but we have moved some when they're at risk of drying out. Grey tree frogs, especially, like laying eggs in mud puddles, which sometimes don't last, and it is a way to be sure you'll get to observe some tadpoles at least.

I'd advise caution on moving eggs from anything bigger than your home pond, because some frog species really need more water than a wading pool allows. Especially here in the South, where we have bullfrogs.

Gotta share baby pictures, of course! These little guys (and I do mean little-they're TINY) hatched when it was hot last week-and now, apparently are doing OK even though it's really cold out. I'm guessing the reason why they didn't hide from the camera is that they're so cold.  We're guessing they're either Spring Peepers or cricket frogs-both come out early here and are tiny frogs even as adults, so tiny tadpoles makes sense.

8746_523631637798879_2568125137304748417

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If you're still looking for a pool to,use as a frog pond, they seem very available now. Walmart, Target, and other stores have their summer stuff out now (in the USA), even if it's still possible for it to freeze.

So far, we have two sites that have tadpoles (FL, TN), one site with newt larvae (UK) two sites with frogs (AUS, started in their Spring), and one which has attracted a turtle :). Thank you to those who have sent photos!

• 2 months later...

We have similar levels-you can always remove some if you have too much to see your tadpoles. I don't think it hurts any to have it (wild ponds here are covered), but it is frustrating to have the tadpoles and not be able to see them (and it makes it hard to photograph them, especially)

I'm afraid we are dropouts. We had everything set up for a few weeks and I had finally ordered duck weed when the kiddie pool decided to spontaneously develop a tiny hole (we never found the hole, but it obviously drained on it's own).  Maybe next year. I think my husband and I were more excited about it than my son who normally loves this stuff.

You may want to check the frogs local to you and see what the breeding season is. Here, some frogs breed through June and into July, but our active herp season goes into late October, so they still have time to mature even if they're laid late, or if you PM me a location, I can put DD on it.

Edited by dmmetler

I think we're duds, too.  I've had the "pond" set up for several months and we hear our little froggy friends chirping outside (teeny, skittish little fellas that like staying under the leaves or under the garbage can and chirp almost like crickets--DH thinks Balcones frogs, but I'm not sure), but we've collected nothing but leaves in our water.  I even put the pond by the bushes at the side of the house where I often hear them.  I know last year we found tadpoles in a drainage ditch in late June, though, so maybe we'll still be in luck?  I just figured that in central TX the frogs would get an earlier start.

If you want lizard pictures, though, we've got lots of those.  A few days ago DS4 found a pair of mating lizards in our fort and was all upset that they wouldn't move--he didn't want to walk past them to come out.  I took a picture of the lizards before rescuing DS through the window.  I wonder where our lizard friends lay eggs...

• Like 1

If they're Balcones frogs, they're terrestrial breeders, so they wouldn't lay eggs in a pond anyway. They breed on land and lay eggs in moist areas, which may mean that they've laid eggs UNDER your pond! They're neat little amphibians.

Central Texas is considered to have four breeding runs, going as late as October. TX, as a whole, is like FL, where there is probably some breeding all year round, but that's going to mostly be in the Southern, wet parts of the state.

This may be interesting or useful (and the forms may be be helpful outside of TX https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_0493.pdf)

What kind of lizards? DD does record other animal sightings in areas as well. So far, we've had a cute little ground skink, plus our usual frogs, toads, and earth snakes.

Huh.  I didn't realize that frogs could be terrestrial breeders.  My education on frogs began and ended in about 4th grade...  I guess we'll keep the pond through the summer and see if anything ever utilizes it.  And maybe do some more learning about frogs.  (Perhaps even attempting to peek under the pond!)

As for the lizards...  Well, we've got some bright green little guys, and some browny-green ones (though maybe they're male and female of the same species, because DS found a bright green atop a browny-green).  And then there are some bigger ones that are kinda spiky and brownish...  LOL--really helpful, right?  Okay, after a bit of searching, I think we see mostly green anoles and a few Texas spiny lizards. :-)

ETA--Your PDF link is a dud; if I knew what you were trying to link to I could try to hunt for its new location, but I can't figure it out from the link name.

If they're Balcones frogs, they're terrestrial breeders, so they wouldn't lay eggs in a pond anyway. They breed on land and lay eggs in moist areas, which may mean that they've laid eggs UNDER your pond! They're neat little amphibians.

Central Texas is considered to have four breeding runs, going as late as October. TX, as a whole, is like FL, where there is probably some breeding all year round, but that's going to mostly be in the Southern, wet parts of the state.

This may be interesting or useful (and the forms may be be helpful outside of TX https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_0493.pdf)

What kind of lizards? DD does record other animal sightings in areas as well. So far, we've had a cute little ground skink, plus our usual frogs, toads, and earth snakes.

Edited by eternallytired