Menu

Rod and Staff Math or CLE?

bethben

I agree with the above poster. CLE 3 was great for oldest DS, but then 4 didn't have enough practice on the new topic for him. Sure, it would be reviewed over and over later, but he never had the chance to really 'get it' first. I had my middle DS in CLE 100 at the time and he was struggling with the same thing. I switched him to R&S 2 this year and it is just wonderful! It really fits what you're describing...plenty of practice on the NEW concept, but with lots of review on previous concepts. I wish I would've switched my older to R&S too, but I didn't. My many posts on him and our math choice can be found elsewhere. :)

• Like 1

I agree with the above poster. CLE 3 was great for oldest DS, but then 4 didn't have enough practice on the new topic for him. Sure, it would be reviewed over and over later, but he never had the chance to really 'get it' first. I had my middle DS in CLE 100 at the time and he was struggling with the same thing. I switched him to R&S 2 this year and it is just wonderful! It really fits what you're describing...plenty of practice on the NEW concept, but with lots of review on previous concepts. I wish I would've switched my older to R&S too, but I didn't. My many posts on him and our math choice can be found elsewhere. :)

Did your son finish the 100 series before starting R&S 2? Was it a smooth transition?

Did your son finish the 100 series before starting R&S 2? Was it a smooth transition?

No, he did not finish the 100 series.  He made it to exactly book 107, lesson 119.  I then ordered Rod and Staff 2 and started with the first workbook.  I was afraid it might be boring or too easy coming from where he was in CLE, but chose to just start right in with the first workbook.  It was a very easy transition.  He loved knowing what he was doing, and didn't find it boring because I think it gave hime some confidence.  I've now figured out that the focused work in R&S is just right for him.  Where I thought the various topics in each CLE lesson would be interesting to him, it was actually just scattered and was hard to keep him focused. Now, I can teach the lesson and give him the worksheets to complete on his own, which is just the way he likes it. :) I still really like CLE, but it didn't work for him. HTH!  Let me know if I can answer any other questions!

• Like 1

Thank you, MMASC. We are not much further than that - midway through 203. I'm going to go ahead and buy the whole grade 2 package from R&S. It will be a lot of review to start with this, but I think that it will build confidence (not cause boredom) in my son, too.

• Like 1

My son did MM for grades 1-3 and I liked it ok but felt he didn't know the 'basics' either... So I started him on CLE in 4th grade hoping to be a little more independent.... he cried almost everyday and it would take 1 1/2 - 2 hours (and sometimes not doing all of the problems!!) He couldn't handle the switching around of topics and I'd have to re-teach everything, even the review everyday. I just switched him to R&S a few weeks ago and we are both doing much better!! R&S sticks with a topic longer and expands on it, but there is plenty of review at the end of the lesson. CLE felt all over the place. My 2nd grader likes CLE a lot, though, and that may be because she started out with it in 1st grade. I plan on switching her to R&S for 3rd or 4th grade (if she lets me...) because I like the format better.

Neither....have you looked at Math Mammoth? It's is self contained and self teaching like CLE with space for the problems to be worked out as well.

However it is also extremely strong conceptually teaching bar modeling and problem solving and abstract thinking from the start (basically it is like Singapore but written specifically for homeschoolers)

:)