Menu

Do you ever think college will be mandatory?

High school was added in the 1820's for boys 12 and up who wanted to go

11th grade was added in the 1910's.

12th grade was added in the 1940's

k was added in the 1970's

You now have optional prek-4 in a lot of schools. It will probably be mandatory pretty soon.

At my dd's high school you can take college credit classes. Why? Why not let a high schooler be a high schooler? I have no interest in trying to have her take classes on that level. Kids need more time for brain development. We, as a society, are already trying to teach concepts too early.

Do you think in the future 1 or 2 years of college is going to be mandatory?

Given that the first year of many colleges is simply an attempt to teach what should have been learned in high school, I suppose some may, at some point, argue that it needs to be a requirement. If children are not getting an education in 12 years why not try 13, would be their argument.

If we actually taught children in high school the issue would be moot.

However, I do not see where the funding would come from and the reality, though many would not wish to actually say it, is that by putting kids into a mandatory college would simply drop the standards of that college. Further as graduating from high school is not mandatory the law would need to ba changed to make this a requirement first. Additionally once a child reaches his majority the government would be hard pressed to insist that he go to college.

I suppose that was a long way of saying No.

Given that the first year of many colleges is simply an attempt to teach what should have been learned in high school, I suppose some may, at some point, argue that it needs to be a requirement. If children are not getting an education in 12 years why not try 13, would be their argument.

If we actually taught children in high school the issue would be moot.

However, I do not see where the funding would come from and the reality, though many would not wish to actually say it, is that by putting kids into a mandatory college would simply drop the standards of that college. Further as graduating from high school is not mandatory the law would need to ba changed to make this a requirement first. Additionally once a child reaches his majority the government would be hard pressed to insist that he go to college.

I suppose that was a long way of saying No.

Everything she said, plus the fact that college is too big a money-making business now.

At my dd's high school you can take college credit classes. Why? Why not let a high schooler be a high schooler? I have no interest in trying to have her take classes on that level. Kids need more time for brain development. We, as a society, are already trying to teach concepts too early.

Because some people truly need the challenge that a college credit class will give them. My high school struggled to create math classes to keep up with a few of us, who were taking Calculus as sophomores. A good friend of mine did dual enrollment at the local university his senior year, as he had finished all the math classes available at the high school (2 years of calculus and a year of statistics). When I graduated high school I had more than a years worth of college credits. (9 AP classes) Academically, I was ready for college level work, but I was definitely not mature enough to head off to college a few years early.

To answer your original question, the entire university system would need to change for college to become mandatory. True public universities would need to be free (as some are in Europe), in order to require people to attend. College is becoming increasingly "mandatory" in the sense that many entry-level jobs require a college degree, but I don't see a legal enforcement of college education for all. (Especially since graduating high school isn't mandatory. Compulsory attendance is usually only until age 16, I think.)

I would doubt it, so long as school attendance is determined by the states. Right now every state is different. Florida only requires school for those ages 6-16, so basically 1st-10th grade. And an 18 year old is considered an adult. I think it would be difficult to legally require schooling for any student over age 18.

I would have loved to do parallel enrollment like that when I was in high school. Instead, I quit in the 10th grade, took the GED and started college.

College in some form is pretty much mandatory now if you want to be part of the middle class. Sure, there are ways to succeed without college, but those are coming fewer and farther between, and if you lack both social skills and a degree - forget about it.

As for kids taking college courses early- gifted kids like my dd NEED those courses. My dd is dabbling in college textbooks now at 7, and has been since she was 5, along with sitting in on a class or two at the local community college. I went away to college full time at 16. Academically and socially high school was a complete waste of time for me. So, while it might not be the right path for *your* kids, don't assume that it is bad for everyone's.

If it is mandatory, I think it will be because the basic high school level concepts are not being taught in high school.

Personally, I think being able to take college classes while still in high school is wonderful for those who chose to do so. Many students are not challenged enough by regular high school classes. I would not agree with having a younger teen live at college, though. :)

Now, Pre-K...one of my pet peeves. In my experience as a pre-k teacher for several years, there aren't many people who can't teach their own children the pre-k curriculum. It does not take a BS to do this. Even parents without a high school degree or those who work are able to teach their dc something. What the state is essentially telling those parents is, "You don't have to teach your dc anything, let us do it." IMO, this is the government once again assuming the responsibilities of citizens. Sure, there are some redeeming qualities to the program, but the benefits do not out-weight the costs, ime.

Ok, time for grammar. ;)

Aggie

To answer your original question, the entire university system would need to change for college to become mandatory. True public universities would need to be free (as some are in Europe), in order to require people to attend. College is becoming increasingly "mandatory" in the sense that many entry-level jobs require a college degree, but I don't see a legal enforcement of college education for all. (Especially since graduating high school isn't mandatory. Compulsory attendance is usually only until age 16, I think.)

If you are dual enrolled at my dd's high school the college classes are free. Some kids take band at HS and the rest college classes. If schools are already doing this, why would they not make it mandatory. Especially since there is a push to keeps kids in school till 18. A lot of work places won't hire a person under 18 unless they are enrolled in school and some states are trying to refuse drivers licenses to kids under the age of 18 unless they are enrolled in school.

If America has added 3 grades (k, 11 and 12) in the last 100 years, what is to say they won't keep adding more?

Maybe I shouldn't say mandatory, but required for graduation.