Menu

History - timeline OR no timeline

bfw0729

I am struggling with History and Geography. I will write a separate post on Geography though.  I think there are too many options out there for history curricula and I can't narrow it down easily.

Currently, we are using MOH. I like it - seems to serve its purpose. I prefer MOH Vol 1 over SOTW Vol 1. We also are working on a timeline written on a large board, which I think is beneficial - time consuming, but beneficial.

Anyway, for next school year I'm looking at different options.

1) Veritas Press self-paced (online) with flashcards - my husband thinks this is too expensive and overall may take too much time out of the day. I read some reviews and seemed like many people liked VP self-paced history.  

2) SOTW vol 2 (audio) with flashcards and timeline from History through the Ages

3) MOH vol 2 (audio) with flashcards and timeline from History through the Ages

I like using a timeline, but like I mentioned above, it's time consuming. I know nothing is absolutely necessary, but would it be that detrimental to their learning history? Has anyone started using a timeline and later chucked it?

I hear you. I love the idea of the timeline but find we rarely get to it. We are in MOH vol. 3. I noticed it's only 28 weeks and my son loves history and will literally be sad when it's over. I think I may go back at the end and allow him to pick what his favorite memories are from the book and create timeline pieces with those. I'm sure he'll pick many and then maybe they'll be more meaningful. I'm sure many people would frown on this approach but it's better than nothing.

Also, we keep our timeline in a 3 ring binder that we'll add to for years to come. More like a book of centuries.

• Like 1