Menu

Check out the planets...

Mama Geek

We got up super early because it was a clear night.  With hot chocolate for dd and coffee for dh and me we headed out in the car to search for a good clearing.  Instead of a telescope we took a spotting scope and binoculars and we had Google Sky Map on our smart phones.  We stopped at 2 different spots for viewingFor a few more days Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn and, Mercury are all in the early morning sky.  We weren't able to pick out Venus and Mercury, but we did find the others and we also found the big dipper.  I just wish I had put a sweat shirt on dd in addition to her heavy coat.  It was about 35 degrees and she just ended up being to cold to stay outside of the car for any length of time, but she did see all that we did and had a good time anyway.

• Like 10

I took ds out (not so)bright and early yesterday to view. We were able to see Venus, Saturn, Mars and Uranus and I think we got a glimpse of Mercury- although it was a bit close to the horizon and blocked by the forests at our house. We threw on our thermals and coats here and it wasn't too bad. It was neat watching the stars disappear as the sun came up.

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

It was neat watching the stars disappear as the sun came up.

One of my favorite memories I have with just youngest and I was a time when we were both up early on a camping adventure and sat together watching the stars get erased from the sky...

Thanks for the chance to reminisce this morning!

• Like 2

I think it will be visible until the 9th IIRC.

Unless, of course, it's supposed to be cloudy and snowing where you live (sigh).  

We had our snow for the year - 30 inches in one snowfall.  It looked gorgeous and we enjoyed it.  It's almost gone now.  I don't get why we need to replace it since we're pretty much at our annual average!  Besides, the groundhog said spring was on its way!

Those of you with projected clear skies, enjoy the view!