Menu

Resource for Lent; thought I'd share

My mom pointed out that Ash Wednesday is this coming week already, which got me thinking about Lent.  Last winter after an extensive search for a good family Lenten devotional, I was encouraged by my husband and my mother to create my own.  After much agonizing, I did, and last year I had my family members (including my brother, who is a pastor) take it for a test-drive with me.  Though I hesitate to do so for fear of seeming presumptuous, I finally decided to post this resource on my blog in case other families are also looking for a good way to walk with Jesus through Lent.

The materials include daily retellings of stories from the life of Christ with both simple and deeper discussion questions at the end, a public-domain artwork to go along with each story, and a small image to color for each story.  (All of the colored images combine to build a mural.)  I tried to aim this at a pretty broad audience, but my brother chastised me for my long words, so this may be a good vocab lesson for the younger set. ;-)  The first reading is for Ash Wednesday, and I included stories for Sundays as well, all the way through Easter.  Week 1 is posted here (along with all the mural images); I'll post the following weeks on the Friday or Saturday before they're needed.  (I'm still re-reading each of them several times.)  If you want to skip the story of why and how I crafted this project, you can scroll to the bottom of the blog post for the PDFs.

If you choose to provide feedback, please be gentle and keep in mind that these were primarily designed for my family and that I have prayed over and agonized over every story, image, and word in these.

• Like 4