Menu

If my 4th grader does okay with SOTW 4 outlines...

blondeviolin

I have a sixth grader in WWS1 this year. Though we didn't use WWE (we used some W&R as well as Treasured Conversations in the two years prior to WWS), I think the hardest part for DD is in many ways the level of challenge in the reading selections and topics in WWS. She is doing pretty well and will probably come within a couple weeks of finishing the whole thing this school year. But in having to write about things like the life of Issaac Newton, Shakespeare's plays, deep sea ocean vents, etc...she has been challenged to have to not only read about some of these unfamiliar topics but also write about them. My DD could probably have handled the reading level of the selections for the most part as a 5th grader and maybe could have written a basic outline, but I am not sure she would have been able to take it and understand it well enough to write compositions about it last year. They are just about right for her as a sixth grader.

As it is, I helped her quite a bit with two of the science related assignments - science is not her strong suit and we didn't have time for extensive research outside of our other work for her to develop a stronger understanding of the topic....so I did quite a bit of explaining on the science to help her get to the point where she could write. She does better with the history and literature related passages.

So I think the thing to look at is how well your student could engage with the topics and selections that he/she would be writing about through the year. It is defintiely a logic stage leap in my mind to go from outlining to an assignment like, "Write about the positives of Isaac Newton's character as though they were negative character qualities." Hope that helps!

Edited by kirstenhill