Menu

Games that cover the gamut of language arts

Jenn in CA

My 2nd graders love games. We play the Right Start games instead of doing lessons and they're doing great. I wonder if anyone knows of language arts games in a similar vein?

I'd love to cover:

Mechanics

Grammar/parts of speech

Reading practice

Comprehension

Analyzing literature

...anything else... Ideally in one book or set so I don't have to Google and create a game for every concept.

Thanks for any ideas!

General Language Arts

- Games for Reading (Peggy Kaye)

- Games for Writing (Peggy Kaye)

Spelling/Word Formation

- Boggle Jr.

- Python Path

- Word Yahtzee

- Wordigo

- Scrabble Jr.

Sentence Formation

- Sentence Cubes

- Man Bites Dog

Reading Comprehension

- Reading Detective

Grammar

- Mad Libs (parts of speech)

- Grammar Ad Libs (parts of speech typically not in Mad Libs)

Mechanics

- Language Detective board game

- Grammar Gorillas online game 

- Paintball Punctuation online game

Vocabulary

- Catch Phrase 

Analyzing Literature

I do NOT recommend analyzing literature until middle school, even if trying to do so with games. High risk of killing a love of reading and of books that way, IMO. Rather, build an appreciation for well-written works and language use through lots of read-alouds / audiobooks, together read alouds ("you read a page, I read a page"), and solo reading of classic works and high quality children's books.

You might also be interested in the Grammar With A Giggle series (daily "bite" of grammar concepts and mechanics, with each new paragraph adding to a story that is finished by year's end; also incorporates vocabulary). The original program is for gr. 3-6, but the author has since written some specifically for grades 1, 2, and 3.

Also check out this thread: "Language Arts reinforcing games"

• Like 3

These are all great. Thanks! And thanks Lori D for the link.

I have one of Peggy Kaye's books. The format is hard for me to get into...each game has an anecdote with it when I really want just the rules and format. But I should pull it out again.

You might try her website, where she has 12-18 games available for free download as 1-page pdf files -- they might be more manageable in that format.  :laugh:

• Like 1

One possibility that could combine reading practice with learning mechanics--and actually some close reading/comprehension--is reading books like Lynne Truss' The Girl's Like Spaghetti, Eats, Shoots & Leaves, and Twenty-Odd Ducks, which feature punctuation errors that could drastically change the meaning of a sentence along with hilarious illustrations.  I know there are others out there that focus on parts of speech or other facets of language.  Not games, exactly, but a fun way to learn.

"Spot the Errors" is a fun way to work on a variety of things.  Write out a sentence and tell your kids how many errors they should find.  Errors can include spelling, grammar, punctuation, vocabulary...  They can also create sentences for each other, or you can each make two and pass one to each other person, so everyone gets two to work on.

You can talk about story structure by typing out simple stories and cutting them up, having your kids arrange them in a way that makes sense and talking about the purpose of each part.  (Then if you want they can do partner writing: Each one writes a story starter and then passes it off.  The next person has to introduce the conflict and pass it back, etc.)