Menu

Cleaning enameled cast iron?

Luckymama

I did this very same thing with BKF and with a magic eraser.  Now my enamel is brown up to a certain level of the pot (halfway down and the bottom).  I don't know if it was because of the two cleaning methods or because of food but I'd try other methods first. I read boiling baking soda and other methods like letting certain liquids (vinegar, baking soda paste) sit over night may be less abrasive.

The inside of my Kirkland Dutch oven was indoctrinated to my kitchen the same way - burnt black beans.  

I just learned dutch ovens aren't meant to ever sit on a burner higher than a 5 unless they have water only in them.  News to me.  

HTH

I started an old thread (that I can't seem to find) that has the details.

The basic idea was bring peroxide to a boil, add baking soda, "cook" until peroxide is basically gone. Rinse, Repeat as necessary to remove all hard baked-on deposits. Will also lighten discolorations.

Not necessary for basic cleanings, but can save pots that one might have though were total losses.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 2

When my dd let split pea soup burn in my Le Crueset, I followed Bill's advice. It works quite well. My pot was badly discolored, and after several tries with baking soda and peroxide, it was almost back to normal.

I had one where I made a real mess of it. If memory serves (it may not) it was remains of a pot roast that I forgot about an left for many hours on a very low heat. I tried soaking and scrubbing for days. I would have given up, but that wasn't an option. It was bad. Really bad.

The boiling down peroxide and baking soda method was brilliant. It took a few goes, as each time seem to remove about 50% of what remained. Next to no scrubbing required.

Bill

• Like 1