Menu

The microphone on the birthday list...

kirstenhill

The boy who is turning 7 on Saturday has been telling me he wants "a microphone" for his birthday.  Obviously he doesn't just want "a microphone" even though he doesn't quite realize this...he wants something that will amplify his voice.  As if he actually needs to be any louder! :001_rolleyes:  But, he loves microphones and wants to sing, rap, beatbox, whatever and hear himself amplified when he pretends to be a rock star.

It doesn't need to be very loud or sturdy (maybe it is okay if this potential gift doesn't last long?!?!).  Not realizing what we exactly needed, grandma picked up a Karoke mic, but hasn't given it to him, so we could return it.  Could we plug that into a portable speaker that has a line-in jack (a lot of the bluetooth speakers for phones have these)?  That seems too simple to be true.  I also saw little tiny portable guitar amp/speakers on amazon.  Or is there something else we want here? I am not looking to buy a whole Karaoke set up, and am not looking to spend too much on it.  $20-$25 max (or a bit more if we return the Karaoke mic for something else)...if we can't do it for that budget, I think I will tell him the rock star microphone dreams have to wait since I already bought a couple other items on his bday list.

I have no idea, sorry.

You might check out reviews on Amazon, ToysRus or just google the Karaoke mic to see what the reviews say.

You might also try to see if there is a YouTube video of it in use.  It is pretty amazing what people put on YouTube.  LOL

DD used to have a microphone and a little amplifier made by PaperJamz (I think that's the name).  They worked pretty well and the amplifier could be used with other Paper Jamz instruments. 

amp

amp and mic

You can buy more expensive ones from the same company that are better made.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

DD used to have a microphone and a little amplifier made by PaperJamz (I think that's the name). They worked pretty well and the amplifier could be used with other Paper Jamz instruments.

amp

amp and mic

You can buy more expensive ones from the same company that are better made.

So with the microphone and amplifier, you could just turn it on and sing? I guess when it talked about "built in songs" I thought maybe that was all you could do was sing along to the built in songs. But just the amp is interesting too, since maybe the mic grandma bought could plug into it!

That was what I was worried about with the "toy" microphones in general - that all you could do was sing along to the songs that were pre-recorded, which is why I was avoiding those. I think all the toy ones I saw in store (granted, I didn't have a chance to look many places) had tunes built in that DS would have no interest in, and I was worried that if all they did was function as two song karaoke machines he would have no use for it.

Edited by kirstenhill