Menu

Which Algebraic Skills are needed for Geometry?

I went straight from 8th grade math (pre alg?) to geometry.  Where I needed algebra, I figured it out myself.  I think solving for an unknown is really the only big one.  

That is sort of what I'm thinking. I can't remember needing a lot of fancy Algebraic maneuvers in Geometry.

There is some algebra - it is where trigonometry is introduced, after all.  That said, we started with geometry with our boys, because we wanted to instill rigorous thinking prior to algebra, to prevent it from becoming mechanical.

It certainly does depend on the level of geometry studied, and curriculum used.  For ALs, I would choose nothing short of AoPS or Kiselev, and the latter maybe only if you are strong mathematically yourself.

For AoPS, ideally I would suggest familiarity with the following algebra topics:  systems of equations/inequalities, manipulation of equations of lines, and factoring quadratics.

I would say the same for the Glencoe/McGraw Hill Common Core geometry text, even though that text seems more about breadth than depth - the geometry readiness test from that publisher also includes some work with parabolas though neither of my kids using that text (at different schools) has reached such a point in it yet AFAIK.  (I cannot recommend this text.)

Texts that teach 2-column proofs often begin with algebraic proofs.

ETA, I can't recall what age?  Perhaps this might be a good time to backtrack to AoPS Prealgebra, say for just the chapter reviews, for the problem solving aspect.  I only thought of it because the geometry chapters are fun and don't require any more algebra than single-variable equations and might be nice to do before AoPS Geometry.

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

For your boys, they can just pick up any algebra skills they need if there are gaps/holes.

For aops textbooks, we have no problem doing the intro to geo book with intro to algebra book. My kids did the whole prealgebra book before that including the challenge problems.

For AoPS, ideally I would suggest familiarity with the following algebra topics:  systems of equations/inequalities, manipulation of equations of lines, and factoring quadratics.

I would say the same for the Glencoe/McGraw Hill Common Core geometry text, even though that text seems more about breadth than depth - the geometry readiness test from that publisher also includes some work with parabolas though neither of my kids using that text (at different schools) has reached such a point in it yet AFAIK.  (I cannot recommend this text.)

Texts that teach 2-column proofs often begin with algebraic proofs.

ETA, I can't recall what age?  Perhaps this might be a good time to backtrack to AoPS Prealgebra, say for just the chapter reviews, for the problem solving aspect.  I only thought of it because the geometry chapters are fun and don't require any more algebra than single-variable equations and might be nice to do before AoPS Geometry.

AOPS Pre-A is an excellent suggestion.  That is *just* enough to get one through the typical geometry text.