Menu

Schools that "guard" their financial aid officers

Pegasus

DD has had repeated issues with her cashier/financial aid account having errors.  It usually takes DD several emails, phone calls, and in-person visits to the office to get things resolved.  I find it unusually frustrating for the following reasons:

1. They seem content to give students non-answers, such as "we'll look into it, keep checking your online account."  DD got this response several times as she continued to check back for a resolution.  The account finally DID resolve before their payment deadline and we breathed a sigh of relief.  Then, DD got a call yesterday stating that she had a balance that needed to be paid.  They went back and monkeyed with LAST semester's financial aid and have now messed that up. 

2. The actual financial aid officers that have the power to actually make changes to the account hide out behind doors.  Students trying to resolve issues must first be "helped" by a student worker who can only log into their account and view what is there. When their limits are reached, they then turn the student over to a staff person whose main function seems to be giving "non-answers" to avoid bothering the financial aid officers.  Twice now, I've had to go with DD and continue to push for explanations/plans for resolution until the staff person would engage one of the financial aid officers. Even then, the staff person would act as a go-between, walking back and forth between the officer and us.

Most of this could easily be resolved with a 5-10 minute conversation with someone who understands the various aid/scholarships and has the power to make corrections in the system.  However, they have set up the system with several layers that prevent this?

Edited by Pegasus

I have no experience with colleges yet, but I know hospitals do stuff like this, too, with their billing.  When one of my kids was born and there was a billing issue, my DH finally marched down to the office to speak to someone in person, and oh, the horrors of that!  He finally did speak to a real, live person and got the issue resolved, but was told that it was an exception and to please not contact her for future matters.  Ugh.

How annoying! 

Our financial aid office doors are always open. I see students in there every day. When I needed answers on summer aid last year I spent 10 minutes with an employee (not a student) and she was very helpful, answered my questions, gave me exact numbers, and even some helpful tips.