Menu

Wilson Hill Geometry, Algebra 1

For those of you who had students in WHA Geometry and Alg 1, can you tell me who taught the classes and how they were structured?  For Algebra II with Mr. Reni, the homework does not need to be turned in but there are questions about the homework on the quizzes so it behooves the student to do it.  My youngest son wants to double up on Alg 1 and Geometry along with their Honors Composition and Physics class and I am trying to gauge the workload for 9th grade. 

Thanks!

This doesn't answer your question, but what if you did one or the other asynchronously? Say Derek Owens for the algebra or BYU (which I've seen good reviews for) for the geometry. If the live Wilson Hill class was too much, the asynchronous one could take a back burner for a few weeks.

ETA- I just noticed you have physics listed, too. Keep in mind that's sort of a math class too. Is Algebra 1 a co-req or a pre-req for WHA's?

Edited by elladarcy

We are in Algebra 1. I think WH recommends taking Geometry with Algebra 2 if you are going to double up. 

The work load in Algebra 1 isn't much. In fact, she's doing less math than she's ever done. A few sets of problems each week and a test every three or four weeks. However, those 90 minute blocks of class time, twice a week, are a killer. It's her least favorite class for that one reason (she likes the teacher). She wouldn't want to sit for more classes like that.

Jurgensen's geometry, which WHA uses, doesn't require lots of algebra, but there is certainly some.

We are midway through the book, and there have been some problems requiring an understanding of quadratic equations and how to solve them. Typically, this topic isn't covered until the end of algebra 1.

I have heard of student that do geometry along with algebra 1 (not WHA), but I think they have been integrated in a way that considers specifically how to do this well. I think it would be a little harder to do if you are just taking the two separate courses concurrently. But many students do take geometry with algebra 2, in order to accelerate.