Menu

Student resume for summer internship application (engineering field)

Seasider

DS mech engineering student has the opportunity to apply for a summer internship after his freshman year (this firm is wonderful and accepts younger applicants). He needs a student resume. He has one, which he first prepared in high school. He updated that (slightly altering content ) and emailed it to me for review.

I am unaccustomed to looking at resumes for this purpose (engineering intern application) and am not certain how to advise changes. I do believe it needs some polishing up and can help him with wording. Specifically, I'm looking for content suggestions.

If any of you are in the mechanical/electrical/industrial engineering field, or have assisted your young friends in preparing a student resume for this purpose, I'd appreciate any suggestions you can offer. Thanks!

Edited by Seasider

Does his school have a career center/department that helps students look for jobs/internships? DS's school has that department and I remember being told to tell ds that as soon as he is settled in, their department should be the next place that he should visit to get started on or to update a resume.

• Like 2

Things I would include are:

1. His degree program with expected graduation date

2. Any related courses he has completed or are in progress

3. His GPA (if it's good ... could skip since he'll only have one semester of grades)

4. Previous work/volunteer experience (doesn't have to be engineering related)

5. Extracurricular activities (doesn't have to be engineering related)

6. Possibly include engineering related clubs, competitions, etc., completed in high school

7. Computer skills (i.e., Word, excel, power point, cad, java, Python, etc.)

• Like 1

another vote for telling your son to go to the campus career center.  let them look over it.  Doesn't mean you can't, but make sure that is on his radar to do that.   

check on career services website for sample resumes.  My dd's college has that.   One of the samples includes some summer engineering internships.  I'll pm you a link. 

also, if you have a good academic advisor, that would be another set of eyes to look.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions! If he were doing this all through his university - which I expect him to do in subsequent years - it would 100% his project. But a friend of mine unexpectedly offered to hand carry his resume to the hiring person in her firm. He is excited for the opportunity but it's come earlier than he expected.

Thanks again for all your helpful suggestions!