Menu

Cool puzzle Kickstarter

We're big fans of the Winston Breen books - they're about a kid who is really into puzzles of all kinds. The author also happens to be a homeschool dad, which is neat. Ds discovered that when he was working on a writing project (the book jacket from BW's Faltering Ownership, which includes a mini author bio). He's doing a kickstarter right now to make a weekly puzzle subscription service for kids. The puzzles in the Winston Breen books are really good - they challenge me but can usually be solved by the kids as well, which is sort of that sweet spot for puzzles - tough but not too tough.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ericberlin/puzzle-your-kids

• Like 3

Guest EricBerlin

I appreciate the mention -- thank you. If I may, let me add that at the Kickstarter site above I have several sample puzzles. They'll give you a pretty good idea of the kind of thing I'll be offering.

I decided to start doing this when I couldn't find any decent puzzles to give to my own daughter, who is homeschooled. We work on the Monday NYT crossword each week, and she knows (or can figure out) many of the words... but it's not really intended for kids. There are too many 70s TV actors and government agency acronyms and the like. My puzzles will have a much more kid-friendly vocabulary, both in a puzzle's fill and in its clues.

Print out the sample puzzles and try 'em on your kids. I hope they enjoy them, and I hope they want more!

Eric

I appreciate the mention -- thank you. If I may, let me add that at the Kickstarter site above I have several sample puzzles. They'll give you a pretty good idea of the kind of thing I'll be offering.

I decided to start doing this when I couldn't find any decent puzzles to give to my own daughter, who is homeschooled. We work on the Monday NYT crossword each week, and she knows (or can figure out) many of the words... but it's not really intended for kids. There are too many 70s TV actors and government agency acronyms and the like. My puzzles will have a much more kid-friendly vocabulary, both in a puzzle's fill and in its clues.

Print out the sample puzzles and try 'em on your kids. I hope they enjoy them, and I hope they want more!

Eric

Thanks for popping in! We have enjoyed your books. :lol:

I had never heard of these books, but we're doing the first Winston Breen book as a read aloud right now because of this thread.

I wish the website was working since almost all my kids would want the printable puzzles from the book. I can't get the puzzle pdfs to download.  :crying:

• Like 1

I had never heard of these books, but we're doing the first Winston Breen book as a read aloud right now because of this thread.

I wish the website was working since almost all my kids would want the printable puzzles from the book. I can't get the puzzle pdfs to download.  :crying:

I seemed to remember that when we did it, the website in the back of the book didn't work, but I found them easily, so I checked - they seem to still be easy to find:

http://winstonbreen.com/download_puzzle.html

Isn't it a fun book? By boys loved all of them.

I seemed to remember that when we did it, the website in the back of the book didn't work, but I found them easily, so I checked - they seem to still be easy to find:

http://winstonbreen.com/download_puzzle.html

Isn't it a fun book? By boys loved all of them.

It worked! The website was giving me an error code for the last several days, but today it worked. Thank you! My older boy loves puzzles, so when I saw your post, I knew I needed to get the book. All the kids, except ds#2, want to try to solve the puzzles.

• Like 1

Guest EricBerlin

Hey again. Just wanted to send a word of thanks to you folks on Well-Trained Mind forumi -- more backers for my Puzzle Your Kids Kickstarter have come from this Web site than from anywhere else. (With the exception of those two giants, Facebook and Twitter.) There's no doubt at this point that we'll reach the basic funding goal. Right now the plan is that subscribers will start seeing puzzles the first week of April. I think you guys, and your kids, will really enjoy them. Thanks again!

Eric

[M]ore backers for my Puzzle Your Kids Kickstarter have come from this Web site than from anywhere else. (With the exception of those two giants, Facebook and Twitter.) 

:hurray:                                                 :party:

(Holy smokes, guys. WTM Forums got a mention in his Update #3! And, they made the first goal!)

Edited by RootAnn