Menu

First Formal Literature Course

Sixth grade dd and I are both ready for her to begin formal literature study.  She has done some of the Kolbe Academy Elementary Literature course, as well as some work with Connecting with History.  For the most part, she has been doing vocabulary and comprehension questions.  We would like to begin to study the elements of literature and spend time analyzing literature.  I thought that Lighting Literature would be a strong contender, but after looking at the book choices, most of them have either been read already or don't appeal to us.  We would love any other ideas.

I would suggest taking another look at Lightning Literature, honestly. I don't think it matters whether you have already read the books. There is a lot of instruction in LL on working with literary elements, and the stories are used as a basis, but not the only medium, of instruction for those elements.

Also, my dd was certain she would hate most of the LL books. It turns out she has liked most of them quite a bit, except for one she really disliked ... one that she was certain she would love!

If you're set against LL, then I would suggest looking at Garlic Press literature guides or something I found that looks totally fun but way beyond what I would reasonably put effort into: Litwits.

You could also start with Figuratively Speaking, but I've read that some of it is difficult for kids younger than about 8th grade.

• Like 1

Agreeing with Tara the Liberator! :)

And -- just a side note about having already read some of the books -- it can be a big benefit having already read a book and then doing it later more deeply as part of a Lit. program. Since the student already "knows" the book, it allows the student to focus on the literary devices and analysis rather than being frustrated in wanting to "just read" the book. And… the odds are pretty high that no matter *which* lit. program or class you choose, there will be a few book "repeats" when you're a well-read family. ;)

JMO: 6th grade can be young to do a formal Lit. program; perhaps consider waiting a year to allow a bit more brain maturing and instead for 6th grade do some good early "prep" work for later literary analysis -- for example, you could go through Figuratively Speaking together to learn some literary devices, and pick 4 books and get a really good individual lit. guide to go with each one. Then, throughout the 6th-8th grades, pick some of the terrific young adult books out there which contain so much good discussion-material in them that it makes beginning formal Literature study and discussion very easy and natural. And you can also include the occasional "classic", to give your student a little more to "chew on" as far as author's use of language and more subtle or more adult themes.

BEST of luck in your Literature adventures, whatever you decide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Ideas for 6th grade

Redwall -- Garlic Press Discovering Lit. guideProgeny Press guide

My Side of the Mountain -- Garlic Press Discovering Lit. guide

Tuck Everlasting -- Glencoe Lit. Library guide

The Horse and His Boy -- Progeny Press guide

Sounder -- Glencoe Lit. Library guide

The Cay -- Progeny Press guide

The Westing Game -- Blackbird & Co. guide

The Witch of Blackbird Pond -- Blackbird & Co. guide; Glencoe Lit. Library guideProgeny Press guide

Johnny Tremain -- Glencoe Lit. Library guideProgeny Press guide

Call of the Wild -- Glencoe Lit. Library guide, Portals to Lit. guide

The Outsiders -- Garlic Press Discovering Lit. guide

Anne of Green Gables -- Progeny Press guide

Ideas for 7th grade

The Hobbit -- Garlic Press Discovering Lit. guide

Eagle of the Ninth -- Progeny Press guide

The Bronze Bow -- Progeny Press guide

Amos Fortune, Free Man -- Progeny Press guide

Island of the Blue Dolphins -- Glencoe Lit. Library guide; Garlic Press Discovering Lit. guideProgeny Press guide

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry -- Garlic Press Discovering Lit. guide

Maniac Magee -- Progeny Press guide

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle -- Glencoe Lit. Library guide

A Wrinkle in Time -- Blackbird & Co. guide; Glencoe Lit. Library guideProgeny Press guide

Where the Red Fern Grows -- Garlic Press Discovering Lit. guideProgeny Press guide

Bridge to Terebithia -- Glencoe Lit. Library guideProgeny Press guide

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer -- Glencoe Lit. Library guide; Portals to Lit. guideProgeny Press guide

Ideas for 8th grade

The Giver -- Garlic Press Discovering Lit. guide; Portals to Lit. guideProgeny Press guide

Across Five Aprils -- Glencoe Lit. Library guide; Blackbird & Co. guide; Progeny Press guide

I Am David -- Blackbird & Co. guide

Julie of the Wolves -- Glencoe Lit. Library guide

Walk Two Moons -- Glencoe Lit. Library guide

Treasure Island -- Blackbird & Co. guide; Where the Red Fern Grows -- Garlic Press Discovering Lit. guideProgeny Press guide

Animal Farm -- Glencoe Lit. Library guide; Portals to Lit. guide

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde -- Glencoe Lit. Library guide

To Kill a Mockingbird -- Glencoe Lit. Library guide; Garlic Press Discovering Lit. guide

A Christmas Carol -- Portals to Lit. guide

The Time Machine -- Portals to Lit. guide

Formal Literature courses

MCT Royal Fireworks trilogies (guides to 3 works each as a set): SearchTimeShadow, Dickens

Mosdos lit. programs (uses short stories/works written by the publisher): 6th grade, 7th grade, 8th grade

Memoria Press lit. programs:

6th grade (Adam of the Road, Robin Hood, Door in the Wall, King Arthur)

7th grade (Anne of Green Gables, The Hobbit, The Trojan War, The Bronze Bow)

8th grade (Wind in the Willows, Tom Sawyer, Treasure Island, As You Like It)

Center for Lit online classes

Brave Writer Arrow (ages 11-13) or Boomerang (ages 13-18) online Lit. classes

Other resources:

Reader's Odyssey -- helps you in creating your own lit. program

Teaching the Classics -- teaches you how to guide your student through reading/analyzing/discussing Literature

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

I would suggest taking another look at Lightning Literature, honestly. I don't think it matters whether you have already read the books. There is a lot of instruction in LL on working with literary elements, and the stories are used as a basis, but not the only medium, of instruction for those elements.

Also, my dd was certain she would hate most of the LL books. It turns out she has liked most of them quite a bit, except for one she really disliked ... one that she was certain she would love!

If you're set against LL, then I would suggest looking at Garlic Press literature guides or something I found that looks totally fun but way beyond what I would reasonably put effort into: Litwits.

You could also start with Figuratively Speaking, but I've read that some of it is difficult for kids younger than about 8th grade.

DD is the one who didn't want to do the seventh grade level of Lightning Literature.  I was quite surprised, as she has enjoyed the three books that she has read and I thought she would like the fourth.  I think part of it is that, though she normally doesn't mind rereading books, she sees her literature course as a way to read some new books.  She is a voracious reader and dh and I have been having a hard time keeping on top of getting new books for her (we are picky about what the kids read and pre-read most books before she reads them).  I'm not against her using it, but I did tell her she could help pick what we used and we won't be doing something she is set against.

I actually own Figuratively Speaking and I like it, but I was hoping for something with literature included.  With 3.5 other students to teach, I don't have much time to plan lessons and will need her to do most of the work herself.

• Like 1

My kids have learned a lot through Center for Literature online classes. We have not done any of the writing components. The students read a book then about once per month have a two hour guided literature discussion online. It's fairly low-key, but I've been impressed with how much they've learned and retained and apply to everything they read.

My 11th grader requested to do another Center for Lit class this year (after doing one in 9th) as he says it makes him think differently about everything he reads - and he's a voracious reader.

I've had younger kids do both the elementary and jr high class. I would recommend picking a class based on the books and not the age range. Also there are some sample classes online you can try out.

• Like 1

Agreeing with Tara the Liberator! :)

And -- just a side note about having already read some of the books -- it can be a big benefit having already read a book and then doing it later more deeply as part of a Lit. program. Since the student already "knows" the book, it allows the student to focus on the literary devices and analysis rather than being frustrated in wanting to "just read" the book. And… the odds are pretty high that no matter *which* lit. program or class you choose, there will be a few book "repeats" when you're a well-read family. ;)

JMO: 6th grade can be young to do a formal Lit. program; perhaps consider waiting a year to allow a bit more brain maturing and instead for 6th grade do some good early "prep" work for later literary analysis -- for example, you could go through Figuratively Speaking together to learn some literary devices, and pick 4 books and get a really good individual lit. guide to go with each one. Then, throughout the 6th-8th grades, pick some of the terrific young adult books out there which contain so much good discussion-material in them that it makes beginning formal Literature study and discussion very easy and natural. And you can also include the occasional "classic", to give your student a little more to "chew on" as far as author's use of language and more subtle or more adult themes.

BEST of luck in your Literature adventures, whatever you decide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I certainly don't feel that all or maybe even most 6th graders need to study literary analysis, just that dd is ready and interested so I'm wanting to start.  I am trying to be more realistic about myself, though.  I love the idea of just reading and discussing literature with dd, but in reality I would need support to do so, as I'm more of a math and science person.  I was hoping for a program to guide the way.  Literature guides might work, though I will have to check what is covered.  DD wants interesting discussion, not more comprehension questions.  Thanks for all of your ideas.

• Like 1

I think what dd wants most of all is the more analytical, interesting discussion.  She also wants exposure to more books.  I think I need to try again to get dh involved in reading and discussing with dd.  Everyone involved would enjoy it, just finding the time is the problem.

I'd still love to hear more ideas if you have them.

• Like 1

My kids have learned a lot through Center for Literature online classes. We have not done any of the writing components. The students read a book then about once per month have a two hour guided literature discussion online. It's fairly low-key, but I've been impressed with how much they've learned and retained and apply to everything they read.

My 11th grader requested to do another Center for Lit class this year (after doing one in 9th) as he says it makes him think differently about everything he reads - and he's a voracious reader.

I've had younger kids do both the elementary and jr high class. I would recommend picking a class based on the books and not the age range. Also there are some sample classes online you can try out.

Thanks for your suggestion.  I have been thinking that it might be time for dd to start taking some online classes.  She would enjoy the interaction with other teachers and students, and it would be one less course to plan and teach.

• Like 1

Thanks for your suggestion. I have been thinking that it might be time for dd to start taking some online classes. She would enjoy the interaction with other teachers and students, and it would be one less course to plan and teach.

Take a look at Homeschool Book Study. This is DDs second year in the JH class. We quite like it!