Menu

Diabetic meals needed please

There's a gal at church who needs a little help in the meal planning/cooking area. I have invited her over this week so we can put some things together. (her husband has been doing the cooking up til this point, apparently, and he is now on the road, truck driver)

Anyway...

I'm just wanting some help in meal ideas that would be good for her. I know I have some things that would suit her needs, but just wondering about any other modifications, things to keep in mind...just help...I need help here.

And yes, I know, she should be able to tell me what she can have and what she can't. But the more knowledge I have ahead of time the more help I can be once she gets here. Have some ideas ready for her, then we just work together to cook them up.

Diabetics who truly watch what they eat do eat food that you would consider just basic healthy eating, but they watch their portions and don't overdo the carbs. If you have wholegrain pasta and rice, and plan meals with vegetables and lowfat meat/cheese, that will be a good start.

I had a woman in my congregation tell me that it wasn't just carbs and protein that you had to manage, but fat too. I haven't looked into that at this point, but it makes some sense.

Isn't the Brewer diet similar to a diabetic diet? Perhaps you could get some ideas there.

Or something low carb.

I really need to think about this stuff, but I'm digging my head in the sand. My dh had grandfathers on both sides of his family who have been insulin dependent diabetics in their older years. His dad was fine up until he died at the age of 66 and his mom seems ok so far, but she's got such a list of other issues going on that diabetes probably won't hit the radar of any doctor for a while.

Oh yeah, this was about you... Sorry.

Tara: How wonderful of you to do this!!!

I found out I had diabetes in Feb, and it really is all about changing the way you see food and portions. Most diabetics can only have about 45 carbs at each meal, which is not a lot if you have pasta or something (that is about 3/4 of a cup of pasta with no sauce--whole wheat pasta is almost the same carbs, and there are some, like dreamfields, that say they are better, and are not).

The main thing they need to do is not focus their meals on carbs--focus it around a healthy meat, chicken, or something, a veggie, tofu, etc. Diabetes often raises your cholesterol, mine went from 110 to 305 in one year, and I'm vegetarian!, just to give you an idea! So you have to watch fats, salt, everything. A few things I read that make a lot of sense and have helped me a lot--people are not really as fond of pasta as they think--it is the sauce they put on it! Things like spaghetti squash with a healthy sauce are just as good, really healthy, and low in carbs! Here is a recipe I love:

http://www.dlife.com/dLife/diabetic-recipes/3804/Cheesy-Eggplant-Lasagna.html

I use canned tomato sauce, the one that is just made of tomatoes, because the ones like Ragu have a ton of sugar and other stuff added, and you don't really have to have the mushrooms if you don't like them--you can add whatever you like. You can adjust however you like, this is like a rough outline ;). But this sight is also wonderful!

This can be a dish you make with meat as a main course, or tofu, which is so healthy, and filling. I once spoke with a nutritionist at my ins. co. who told me I should cut out meat if I was a diabetic, it would extend my life by at least 20%, and when I said I was a vegetarian, he said great, but never told me why it made such a diff--I guess fat, but I'm not sure.

Your friend needs to really look at carbs, and take a nutrition class--basically all ins. co's will pay for it; they want you to go! You have to count carbs carefully, and monitor your blood sugar carefully. I have cut my blood sugar by more than half in 7 months, and have lost nearly 70 lbs., just by being careful of what I eat, well, completely changing what I eat, and walking. I don't feel deprived, but I do eat really healthily, and I feel better than I have in many, many years.

I hope things go well for your friend; if I can be of any help, please let me know!

My Mom has been a type 2 diabetic for over 20 years.

For dinner she usually eats a side salad, small piece of protein and 2 servings of veggies, (usually a steamed green veggie and something else). She rarely eats bread, white rice, potato dishes, (sweet potato is OK), corn or pasta for dinner. When she makes soups, stews or casserole she leaves the salt and/or sugar out.

Bless her heart, she is 80 years old and still works part-time at a pre-school. She exercises several times a week and attends a diabetic support group twice a month. She is amazing!

Hope you find some great recipes for your friend.

Thanks gang! I really appreciate it.

(momtoaly I tried to rep you but apparently I still need to spread the love)

Kris I don't know which. Anyway I would know, something you could ask that might trigger my own recall?

Thanks again everyone. Printing this info. Please do continue with any other ideas...she's coming Wednesday. :)

Kris I don't know which. Anyway I would know, something you could ask that might trigger my own recall?

Hi, Tara --

T1s don't produce enough insulin -- or none at all. T2s initially suffer from insulin resistance, so they produce too much insulin, but their bodies can't use it -- until their beta cells give up.

A T1s dietary concerns are different from T2s. The simple answer is that T1s can pretty much cover whatever they eat with insulin. T2s have a more complicated response and, while many of them are on insulin, too, because they usually still have some kind of beta cell action going on, the calculations are more difficult. Also, T1s have a bigger concern about hypos and it's usually recommended that they keep their BG a little higher than T2s. This is all simple and generic, of course, but maybe something's ringing a bell. :D

Hi, Tara --

T1s don't produce enough insulin -- or none at all. T2s initially suffer from insulin resistance, so they produce too much insulin, but their bodies can't use it -- until their beta cells give up.

A T1s dietary concerns are different from T2s. The simple answer is that T1s can pretty much cover whatever they eat with insulin. T2s have a more complicated response and, while many of them are on insulin, too, because they usually still have some kind of beta cell action going on, the calculations are more difficult. Also, T1s have a bigger concern about hypos and it's usually recommended that they keep their BG a little higher than T2s. This is all simple and generic, of course, but maybe something's ringing a bell. :D

Well, that explains it. My neighbor's friend is Type 1 diabetic and she eats completely different from my Mom. She eats lots of fast food, hates veggies and eats candy when her blood sugar is out of whack. She doesn't exercise either. But she does carry insulin with her where ever she goes.

I couldn't understand how two diabetics could have such different approaches to the same situation, but what you posted makes sense.

Well, that explains it. My neighbor's friend is Type 1 diabetic and she eats completely different from my Mom. She eats lots of fast food, hates veggies and eats candy when her blood sugar is out of whack. She doesn't exercise either. But she does carry insulin with her where ever she goes.

I couldn't understand how two diabetics could have such different approaches to the same situation, but what you posted makes sense.

This will probably be one of those type and delete posts, but I'll try anyway. :D

I know a lot of T1s who say, "I do because I can." But just because you *can* doesn't mean you should, KWIM? What you're describing could also apply to a T2. The problem is, that wouldn't be good for a *healthy* person -- it certainly isn't good for a diabetic, no matter what number they're sporting.

I'm afraid I can get pretty evangelical when it comes to managing T2, so I generally just keep my thoughts to myself. And probably should do that here, too. :)

Most diabetics can only have about 45 carbs at each meal, which is not a lot if you have pasta or something (that is about 3/4 of a cup of pasta with no sauce--whole wheat pasta is almost the same carbs, and there are some, like dreamfields, that say they are better, and are not).

Dreamfields doesn't work for you? My uncle is a diabetic and he CAN NOT have regular pasta because of what it does to his sugar level but he CAN have Dreamfields and he says of all the alternate pastas, Dreamfields is the only one he can have and not effect his sugar.

The box does say it has only 5 absorbable carbs :confused:

ok, well, she steers away from sweets and high carbs

that's really all I know

but sounds more type 2 ??

anyway, thanks again

(and sorry for the choppy post, babe in arms)

I've learned that diabetic diets are so individual, but here are a couple of low glycemic meal ideas that can be tweaked to your friend's specific diet plan:

~soups/stews: basically a good ole pot of food loaded w/veggies, protein, beans, barley, whatever.

~salads: chef salad, taco salad, chicken salad, etc. Then let your diabetic friend decide how much/what kind of carb to add.

~fish/seafood meals w/veggies.

HTH.

Dreamfields doesn't work for you? My uncle is a diabetic and he CAN NOT have regular pasta because of what it does to his sugar level but he CAN have Dreamfields and he says of all the alternate pastas, Dreamfields is the only one he can have and not effect his sugar.

Some people can handle Dreamfields just fine, and for others it's worse. For one thing, you have to be very careful not to overcook it, and a lot of people can't do "leftovers" because just the additional cooking to warm it up is too much.

A lot of people have reported a delayed spike with Dreamfields. So if someone wants to try it, it's a good idea to test beyond the usual one hour/two hours. I tested every six hours after trying it and was *still* high. So whereas regular pasta will give you a nasty spike, it usually goes back down within an hour or two. Dreamfields can cause a rise that is just as high, but slower and lasts longer. This is what makes it an unacceptable substitute for me, personally.

ok, well, she steers away from sweets and high carbs

that's really all I know

but sounds more type 2 ??

Yeah, does sound like a T2, but could also be a T1 who wants to make smaller corrections. But, considering the current mainstream thinking, T2 is a pretty good guess. :)

Some people can handle Dreamfields just fine, and for others it's worse. For one thing, you have to be very careful not to overcook it, and a lot of people can't do "leftovers" because just the additional cooking to warm it up is too much.

A lot of people have reported a delayed spike with Dreamfields. So if someone wants to try it, it's a good idea to test beyond the usual one hour/two hours. I tested every six hours after trying it and was *still* high. So whereas regular pasta will give you a nasty spike, it usually goes back down within an hour or two. Dreamfields can cause a rise that is just as high, but slower and lasts longer. This is what makes it an unacceptable substitute for me, personally.

That is interesting and good to know, thanks. :)

How does whole wheat pasta effect you? (If you don't mind me asking! :) )

How does whole wheat pasta effect you? (If you don't mind me asking! :) )

Not at all! I don't like to say "I can't eat it" because I *can* eat anything I care to put in my mouth. :D But pasta, rice, bread, in all its shapes and forms, is on the "*really* not a good idea" list. :) I should add, though, that I am not on any medication or insulin. So someone who is may have a better tolerance for it -- but the only way to find out is to test it. HTH! :)

We tried the Dreamfields because one of Sweetie's favorite dinners when he comes home is spaghetti. So I was pretty disappointed with the results.

Not at all! I don't like to say "I can't eat it" because I *can* eat anything I care to put in my mouth. :D But pasta, rice, bread, in all its shapes and forms, is on the "*really* not a good idea" list. :) I should add, though, that I am not on any medication or insulin. So someone who is may have a better tolerance for it -- but the only way to find out is to test it. HTH! :)

We tried the Dreamfields because one of Sweetie's favorite dinners when he comes home is spaghetti. So I was pretty disappointed with the results.

Thanks for the info! :)

I assumed the whole grains were different, now I know! I am not a diabetic but my blood sugar came back as .02 points away from diabetic (close but NOT diabetic) so I'm on the ETL diet but I am eating whole grains/dreamfields because I miss my carbs!

That does help though, thanks.

I haven't tried Dreamfields, for the reason Kris stated. What they did was take regular pasta, bind protein to it and add some fiber, and make it so that you should not absorb all the carbs. For some people, you do not absorb all the carbs, and it works fine, but for some it does not work and you have a really high spike. I haven't tried it because I'm not willing to take a chance.

Also, I think someone mentioned glycemic index; that is not something that is normally used nowadays, simply because they have found it is to individual a thing. A good example is pasta--the way it effects one person is not the same as it effects another, causing a different glycemic index in each. Some people can eat pasta without a prob; I can have a small serving and my sugar sky rockets; don't know why, but it does, so I don't know why. (take a look at tofu shiritake noodles instead of pasta--they are amazing, naturally low carb, and really healthy--I eat those, and love them--spaghetti squash is also great!!)

I haven't tried Dreamfields, for the reason Kris stated. What they did was take regular pasta, bind protein to it and add some fiber, and make it so that you should not absorb all the carbs. For some people, you do not absorb all the carbs, and it works fine, but for some it does not work and you have a really high spike. I haven't tried it because I'm not willing to take a chance.

Also, I think someone mentioned glycemic index; that is not something that is normally used nowadays, simply because they have found it is to individual a thing. A good example is pasta--the way it effects one person is not the same as it effects another, causing a different glycemic index in each. Some people can eat pasta without a prob; I can have a small serving and my sugar sky rockets; don't know why, but it does, so I don't know why. (take a look at tofu shiritake noodles instead of pasta--they are amazing, naturally low carb, and really healthy--I eat those, and love them--spaghetti squash is also great!!)

Thanks, I really had no idea. I thought it was ALL ABOUT the Glycemic index. Thanks for the recommendation!

Thanks, I really had no idea. I thought it was ALL ABOUT the Glycemic index. Thanks for the recommendation!

It was hoped that the Glycemic Index *would* be the "be all-end all" but, unfortunately, that didn't prove to be the case. There are *so* many factors involved in how BG will react to carbs, including, but certainly not limited to, what else you might be eating at the same time. Fat, for instance, plays a major role here.

About the only way you really know how you will react to what you're eating is to use your meter. There are some generalities, and the GI is a good starting point, but you can't rely on it completely. You're going to find a lot of surprises.

The information here was very helpful when I was trying to figure all this stuff out. Heck, I'm *still* trying to figure it out, but your meter is *one* thing you really can rely on. :)

Good luck!!

Also, I think someone mentioned glycemic index; that is not something that is normally used nowadays, simply because they have found it is to individual a thing.

Yep. Diabetic diets are definitely an individualized plan. I mentioned that in my post. I chose low GI foods (beans) that are commonly less of an issue than high glycemic foods (potatoes) because the OP mentioned that the person she is trying to help tries to avoid sugars and high carb foods which sounds to me like she focuses on lower glycemic meals. I was very careful though to mention how it would all need to be individualized--portion size, preferences, etc.

So, what does a typical week's worth of meals look like for you? Maybe that would help the OP? Congrats on your weight loss, BTW!