Menu

MUS Zeta

Yeah, not high school level, but dd is using it for 9th. Sigh. Several questions...

Is anyone finding discrepancies between the DVD teaching and the workbook as you reach this level?  I actually heard that come Pre-Algebra or Algebra, can't remember which, that Demme teaches it, but someone else is writing the book, so there's lesson variations with that that is confusing to the student.

We're doing Zeta Lesson 8 and we are on our 3rd round with Lessons 8a and 8b and I just noticed that while he's teaching the place value on each side of the decimal,  (the left side is 1/1000, 1/100, 1/10, 1.),  but then to the right of decimal the book starts off as 10/1, 100/1, 1000/1.  That's wrong, isn't it?  Isn't it supposed to be 1.1/10, 1/100, 1/1000 like he had on the DVD? 

One more question, do we even need this? I see a need for the use to the right of the decimal, but not to the left. We don't use metric and seems like this is not a hill to die on. We're now two weeks behind over this stupid lesson. 

We used the original Math U See so didn't use Zeta and can't respond specifically to whether the teacher's guide lines up with the lesson problems. I did find a sample of Zeta teacher's guide for lesson 8 online so I've taken a look at that. It looks simple enough but I'm not understanding your description of the place value in the problem set.  Can you maybe share a specific problem that is causing issues?

IMHO, your DD does need this.  Metric is used extensively in scientific and engineering fields, at the very least. Besides, this lesson isn't JUST about metric conversion.  It is teaching basic conversion techniques, such that the units cancel out.

Let me see. 

1 Kilounit     1 Hectounit     1 Dekaunit  1 unit  .  10 deciunits     100 centiunits     1000 milliunits

1,000 units      100 units        10 units     1 unit       1 unit               1 unit                   1 unit

On his teaching board he used "meters", not units.  Confusing for those kids who don't know it doesn't matter in this case.  It's about place value, I know that. 

But on the DVD all to the right of the decimal he had as  1 over 10 (not 10/1 as shown).   The DVD had 1/1000 Kilo as shown above.  So it looks like to the right of the decimal are whole numbers and they're not. 

Add in dkg can be dag. THat he taught and uses DKg, not DAg and the book constantly uses DAg.   That they've added  liters and grams but show units (as a generic) and he taught as meters is not helpful for this as a new concept. 

One problem was 10 dag = ___   dg and the answer is 1300 which is a typo. 

The whole thing is mind numbing.  "I" know it's place value and you simply count.  But after finally going through this with DD to figure out the problem, I'm wondering why the place value line is whole numbers to the right of the decimal.

Clear as mud?

So examples are:

1Km=______cm

1dag = _____mg

1kl = ______dl

1 dal = _____ liters

6dm = _____mm

Edited by MrsMe

Ds son did this so long ago, I can't recall the details and most likely neither can he.  It really sounds wacky the way they are presenting it.  I would recommend supplementing this section with Khan Academy or something else that presents the topic more straight forward, then move on.  This is definitely not a hill worth dying or even lingering on too long, IMO.  Honestly, I was so glad to put MUS in our rear view mirror by that point and ds14 was even more so.   It was all he used for primary math.  

Toward the end of Zeta, he was getting so burnt out on it, I let him begin Pre-A one day a week.  That one break was like giving him a new lease on life.  He loved working on more advanced math concepts.  There was hope at the end of the tunnel!  You may want to incentivise her in similar ways now that she is so close to finishing.  She probably can't wait to do anything else, especially something more interesting.

Edited by dereksurfs
  • Like 1

Ds son did this so long ago, I can't recall the details and most likely neither can he.  It really sounds wacky the way they are presenting it.  I would recommend supplementing this section with Khan Academy or something else that presents the topic more straight forward, then move on.  This is definitely not a hill worth dying or even lingering on too long, IMO.  Honestly, I was so glad to put MUS in our rear view mirror by that point and ds14 was even more so.   It was all he used for primary math.  

Toward the end of Zeta, he was getting so burnt out on it, I let him begin Pre-A one day a week.  That one break was like giving him a new lease on life.  He loved working on more advanced math concepts.  There was hope at the end of the tunnel!  You may want to incentivise her in similar ways now that she is so close to finishing.  She probably can't wait to do anything else, especially something more interesting.

In red is what I thought.  I don't think they could have overcomplicated it or confused it any more than they have and now we've lost 2 weeks on it.

:thumbup1: ,

• Like 1

We're doing Zeta Lesson 8 and we are on our 3rd round with Lessons 8a and 8b and I just noticed that while he's teaching the place value on each side of the decimal,  (the left side is 1/1000, 1/100, 1/10, 1.),  but then to the right of decimal the book starts off as 10/1, 100/1, 1000/1.  That's wrong, isn't it?  Isn't it supposed to be 1.1/10, 1/100, 1/1000 like he had on the DVD? 

One more question, do we even need this? I see a need for the use to the right of the decimal, but not to the left. We don't use metric and seems like this is not a hill to die on. We're now two weeks behind over this stupid lesson. 

We had no problem with this lesson, but it was a long time ago.

The numbers should go:

1000/1, 100/1, 10/1, 1 . 1/10, 1/100, 1/1000, 1/10000

MUS has an errata on their website. There may be a misprint in the version of the book you are using. I always checked and marked all the corrections on both student and tm before I started each level.

We had no problem with this lesson, but it was a long time ago.

The numbers should go:

1000/1, 100/1, 10/1, 1 . 1/10, 1/100, 1/1000, 1/10000

MUS has an errata on their website. There may be a misprint in the version of the book you are using. I always checked and marked all the corrections on both student and tm before I started each level.

Yeah, wasn't in the errata. 

Sigh.  2 weeks wasted.

Thanks.