Menu

Does Lumosity or other brain training apps work for you?

mathnerd

I have realized that my brain has slowed down a lot since I left college. I don't like sudoku or chess or learning a new language (I already speak 3 languages). I was looking at Lumosity and wondering if I should give it a shot or not. My new year resolution is to become more mentally alert (that would be easier if I did not have sleep issues) without drinking too much coffee. Any help?

I used Lumosity once for a year. On the full website, there were games I enjoyed and I could see myself improving at them. However, those were the games for things I am already good at. The games that are meant to improve a weakness (mental math quickly, orientation, for me) were games I despised playing. It was funny, because my son who has amazing spatial skills loved the game ai hated the most! It was a maze where you had to use the arrow keys to get your penguin back home, but every few seconds, the board would spin around and you had to re-orient yourself. It was torture! Lol! My penguin never got home!

The App was too limited and I couldn't choose the games I liked; it wants you to work on your weaknesses, not your strengths. At that point, I just lost interest.

I do think all kinds of games, puzzles, instruments, and physical exercise helps keep mental capacity sharp.

• Like 1

I think you can improve brain function but I am not sure if the luminosity app will do that. I am using elevate and luminosity. They were both free and they are fun but I am not sure they are doing much. I prefer elevate over luminosity. I want to eventually try mindspark. Certain types of video games can improve visual spatial skills and other areas. I think improving your working memory can be helpful and that is possible but I am not sure the best way to go about that.

As others have said, physical exercise does a heck of a lot to improve the functioning of the brain. Recent research has shown that vigorous physical exercise slows down and even rolls back a little cognitive changes in the first stages of Alzheimer's. It's better than any medication that is currently available. So it works even in extreme circumstances. 

• Like 2