Menu

Center for Lit products- any reviews?

I really won't be much help but since no one else is chiming in......

I have all of those products. I heard Adam and Missy speak at a convention and loved them and their approach. I've watched about half of the TTC dvd's and they are helpful for me. I've also looked through the other two books listed and am eager to implement them. I just haven't yet. I'm also planning to sign my daughter up for one of their online classes in the next few years. So while I haven't used them yet with my kids, I'm prepping myself with them and they are very helpful!

• Like 1

I have the TTC DVD and workbook. I love Adam Andrews. If you have a strong lit analysis background, the DVDs may not be terribly new info--particularly if you have seen Adam Andrews discuss a book at a conference. The Workbook, however, I use all the time for book discussions. I love the list of socratic questions. (I now have the worldview book, too, and also love those questions).

I did have my oldest watch the TTC DVDs at a time when I didn't have time to do more than just discuss books with him.

• Like 1

I really won't be much help but since no one else is chiming in......

I have all of those products. I heard Adam and Missy speak at a convention and loved them and their approach. I've watched about half of the TTC dvd's and they are helpful for me. I've also looked through the other two books listed and am eager to implement them. I just haven't yet. I'm also planning to sign my daughter up for one of their online classes in the next few years. So while I haven't used them yet with my kids, I'm prepping myself with them and they are very helpful!

Thank you!  

I am surprised that they do not seem to be well-known, as they look great.  I think I'll have to take the plunge, whether I get any more replies or not!  lol.  

I have the TTC DVD and workbook. I love Adam Andrews. If you have a strong lit analysis background, the DVDs may not be terribly new info--particularly if you have seen Adam Andrews discuss a book at a conference. The Workbook, however, I use all the time for book discussions. I love the list of socratic questions. (I now have the worldview book, too, and also love those questions).

I did have my oldest watch the TTC DVDs at a time when I didn't have time to do more than just discuss books with him.

It's funny, but I would usually consider myself to have a strong lit background, and then I was trying to answer one of Adam's questions (just thinking to myself) about The Hobbit- What did Bilbo want?  What was keeping him from getting it?  ... and I was just stuck!

I'm sort of satisfied with what I came up with- he wanted to be respected as an able-bodied burglar and member of the team... and yet, I would feel much better if someone confirmed that for me.  lol.   So I feel I need a good, solid refresher course!!!  

It's funny, but I would usually consider myself to have a strong lit background, and then I was trying to answer one of Adam's questions (just thinking to myself) about The Hobbit- What did Bilbo want? What was keeping him from getting it? ... and I was just stuck!

I'm sort of satisfied with what I came up with- he wanted to be respected as an able-bodied burglar and member of the team... and yet, I would feel much better if someone confirmed that for me. lol. So I feel I need a good, solid refresher course!!!

Yes, I definirly needed a refresher course when my oldest hit middle school. In addition, consider reading Deconstructing Penquins as it is helpful for reading how you can get kids talking about books.
  • Like 1

I adore Teaching the Classics!

I have always enjoyed reading but definitely do not have much of a background in literary analysis. A few years ago, I listened to some of Adam Andrews' conference talks, got inspired, and ended up purchasing Teaching the Classics. After listening to it once, I then purchased Reading Roadmaps and Ready Readers 1, then over the next couple of years I also purchased Ready Readers 2 and 3, as well as some of the Classics Club DVDs and the Worldview Supplement. I have since had DH watch some of the seminar DVDs with me, and now DS is starting to watch them with me (he is 9 and appreciates literature more than average; the DVDs are intended for the parent and they are a little slow for a young kid, but he enjoys them anyway).

All of this to say, learning literary analysis has, for me/us, been a *process*. One thing I truly appreciate about Adam Andrews is that he not only tells you how to do it, but he actually *shows* you how to do it by involving his audience in an analysis exercise. This is true for both the seminar DVDs as well as several of his conference lectures. For me, that is an extremely helpful and instructive way to show me what my goal is. It is also one reason why I have actually enjoyed watching the DVDs more than once. I learn a little, implement a little, learn a little more, implement a little more.

I'm such a newbie at this, but honestly I feel like TTC has opened up a new world for me, enabling me to understand and appreciate lit in a way I never did before... and pass that along to my kiddos as well. I can't recommend it highly enough!!

Oh, also, last summer I enrolled DS in one of their free summer reading discussions (a one-time 2-hr online discussion of a single book). DS loved it and got a lot out of it. I am not one to outsource classes at all, but TTC is on my VERY short list of online classes that I would actually enroll DS in (and I'd sit in on all the classes so I could keep learning, too).

Lastly, I also recommend Deconstructing Penguins as the PP suggested. I read that before even getting started with TTC. It is a fun, easy, and inspiring intro!

Edited by tranquility7
  • Like 3

I adore Teaching the Classics!

I have always enjoyed reading but definitely do not have much of a background in literary analysis. A few years ago, I listened to some of Adam Andrews' conference talks, got inspired, and ended up purchasing Teaching the Classics. After listening to it once, I then purchased Reading Roadmaps and Ready Readers 1, then over the next couple of years I also purchased Ready Readers 2 and 3, as well as some of the Classics Club DVDs and the Worldview Supplement. I have since had DH watch some of the seminar DVDs with me, and now DS is starting to watch them with me (he is 9 and appreciates literature more than average; the DVDs are intended for the parent and they are a little slow for a young kid, but he enjoys them anyway).

All of this to say, learning literary analysis has, for me/us, been a *process*. One thing I truly appreciate about Adam Andrews is that he not only tells you how to do it, but he actually *shows* you how to do it by involving his audience in an analysis exercise. This is true for both the seminar DVDs as well as several of his conference lectures. For me, that is an extremely helpful and instructive way to show me what my goal is. It is also one reason why I have actually enjoyed watching the DVDs more than once. I learn a little, implement a little, learn a little more, implement a little more.

I'm such a newbie at this, but honestly I feel like TTC has opened up a new world for me, enabling me to understand and appreciate lit in a way I never did before... and pass that along to my kiddos as well. I can't recommend it highly enough!!

Oh, also, last summer I enrolled DS in one of their free summer reading discussions (a one-time 2-hr online discussion of a single book). DS loved it and got a lot out of it. I am not one to outsource classes at all, but TTC is on my VERY short list of online classes that I would actually enroll DS in (and I'd sit in on all the classes so I could keep learning, too).

Lastly, I also recommend Deconstructing Penguins as the PP suggested. I read that before even getting started with TTC. It is a fun, easy, and inspiring intro!

Oh!!!!  I am so excited to hear this glowing review!  Pressing the order button at Rainbow in 3...2...1...