Menu

National Geographic Bee - why can't I find a group to do it?

Why don't homeschoolers seem to want to participate in the National Geographic Bee? I've tracked down only 3 for homeschoolers in the whole state of NC (Nat Geo gave me the info). The one that is closest (75 min away) has been canceled because they didn't have the min required 6 participants. I haven't checked with the other two bees yet, but one is 2 hrs away and the other is 5 hrs away, so neither is appealing to us.

We could host our own, but I can't find anyone who is interested enough to commit. It costs $10/student. There is also a $100/group registration fee which DH said we could fund ourselves IF we could just wrangle up enough participants. But no dice so far... Gah! What's the deal?

There's a group doing it here near DC, but you have to be in DC or Maryland to do it.

Can you maybe call some of the private schools around you? Or even the public ones? And see if anyone is doing it? I organized the bee when I was dean at a small, private school. It would have been weird, but I'm sure we would have let someone participate in ours if we were allowed to for just paying the fee.

Yes, I guess I will call schools. But it feels awkward to me to do that. Not so much this year, since DS is totally unprepared... but it would feel super awkward to me in the future if he actually won, don't you think? Not that I know he would, but I can imagine him getting quite into this, and we do tend to study a lot of geography, so I can imagine it being a possibility someday...

Btw when you organized the bee, how many kids did you have participating and how long did the bee actually take?

Maybe it isn't an interest for many homeschoolers in the area (it wouldn't be for my kiddos) or maybe the children are already eyeball-deep in activities (my oldest is, by this time of the year, already busy with things that we anticipate being busy with in future years). 

No answers, except to say I hear ya. Every year I struggle to fill a MathCounts team. Why doesn't anyone want to do MathCounts?

It is the team nature of these competitions. What if there are scheduling/priority conflicts or social conflicts or mommy wars.

It is why spelling bee and AMC has higher interest locally.

ETA:

Registered oldest for AMC10. Not sure if will get a seat yet.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

Yes, I guess I will call schools. But it feels awkward to me to do that. Not so much this year, since DS is totally unprepared... but it would feel super awkward to me in the future if he actually won, don't you think? Not that I know he would, but I can imagine him getting quite into this, and we do tend to study a lot of geography, so I can imagine it being a possibility someday...

Btw when you organized the bee, how many kids did you have participating and how long did the bee actually take?

It took virtually no work on my part as the organizer. I sent off for the materials, filled out the forms, then read just a couple of pages of instructions beforehand. Easy peasy. The end result was so predetermined - there was a student who was a geo bee nut - he was aiming to go to nationals and had come close in the past (he didn't make it unfortunately) and for him to do it, his school needed to have the bee. So we held it for him and let anyone participate who wanted to do so. A bunch of kids did even though they knew they were very likely to have their butts kicked (though a few did really respectably). The whole thing took less than 2 hours. Everyone in the school watched. It was fun and we did some other stuff for it to celebrate... can't remember exactly what though.