Menu

All ECC users out there...

bethben

We are not enjoying the science with this curriculum. Everything else seems to be going fine, but the science is grossly lacking in hands on experiments. Yes, ds is learning a lot about biomes and animals, but for a kid who really loves experiments, this really isn't doing it for him. I'm thinking of adding easy classical science or just a Apologia zoology book (I'd like to start with zoology 3, but don't know if you can skip around like that). Any suggestions?

Beth

Beth,

Ideas:

*field trip to zoo

*field trip to pet stores with wide variety of animals (our petco store is good for field trips)

*field trips to local greenhouses for different plants and such (nice way to get in those nature walks)

*I think Janice Van Cleave has a Biomes around the world book? (or maybe something like that title) heard others who are using something with a title like that and liking it with ECC.

*maybe her earth science book would work well too.or her geography stuff?

Or pick a different topic for hands on stuff and just do that on Fridays while learning the habitats and animals and plants and all of that notebooking with it.

*we're enjoying a lot more hands on experiments in weeks 9-11 in Brazil. Growing stuff, rain forest terrarium, that kind of thing.

*don't skip the making a river thing in the Canada unit. That was a lot of fun for my kids and dh to do together in the sand box outside. and the surface tension with paperclip ---- here's a tip to get the paperclip to float on the surface: put paperclip on a piece of toilet paper, then set tp on the top of the water, let the paper sink and the paperclip floats. much easier than other ways to do it.

yeah, it's not wazzle dazzle blow up the kitchen science (physics/ chemistry), but some years are botany, living world stuff. So if you want to add different stuff on Fridays (light and independent Fridays) that are fun extra science, that's great.

-crystal

...or just a Apologia zoology book (I'd like to start with zoology 3, but don't know if you can skip around like that).

Beth

You can. It is suggested that you do the first lesson in Zoology 1 though for the lesson on classification. I could be way off, but I think there may be something you can download from the Apologia site for this.

We're supplementing ECC with Zoology 1. I can't imagine not supplementing - my dd is in 5th grade and loves science. :001_smile:

edited to clarify....actually, we aren't supplementing the ECC science, we've replaced it with Apologia. But I'm going to start working the ECC science (at least the reading) into our lessons.