Menu

Combining MCT and IEW

scbusf

Disclaimer - I am a hopeless curriculum junkie. I already own so many things and I am overwhelmed trying to figure it all out. And Language Arts is not my thing - I'm a math and science girl! I've been trying to make one system work, but it just occurred to me that maybe I can combine IEW and MCT.

My kids are 9 and almost 8 (and a 5 y.o.).  Do you think this plan might work?

Writing - IEW - SWI-A for 9 y.o. and PAL Writing for 8 y.o. (5 y.o. is doing PAL Reading and Writing, but that's it for her)

MCT for everything else:

Grammar - Grammar Island and Sentence Island for both

Vocabulary - Building Language

Poetics - Music of the Hemispheres

I would probably shoot for doing Vocab and Poetics 1 or 2 x a week.

I have been doing IEW SWI A with both of my kids...my daughter is almost 9, and my son is10.5.  I've been doing it in combination with the first section of Treasured Conversations, which is teaching a lot of the grammar that goes into creating good sentences.  I plan to start MCT after the holidays, and I don't see any reason why you would't want to combine them.  I believe they'll complement each other nicely.

Disclaimer - I am a hopeless curriculum junkie. I already own so many things and I am overwhelmed trying to figure it all out. And Language Arts is not my thing - I'm a math and science girl! I've been trying to make one system work, but it just occurred to me that maybe I can combine IEW and MCT.

My kids are 9 and almost 8 (and a 5 y.o.).  Do you think this plan might work?

Writing - IEW - SWI-A for 9 y.o. and PAL Writing for 8 y.o. (5 y.o. is doing PAL Reading and Writing, but that's it for her)

MCT for everything else:

Grammar - Grammar Island and Sentence Island for both

Vocabulary - Building Language

Poetics - Music of the Hemispheres

I would probably shoot for doing Vocab and Poetics 1 or 2 x a week.

Yes.  That sounds fine.  I used MCT writing too, but we only read through it.  There isn't much output with MCT.  It is mostly reading and a little bit of discussing.  When I did the 4 level analysis stuff we just did one sentence a day.  It was quick. 

We went through Bible Heroes last year.  I wanted to take a little break from IEW; MCT looked so glorious that we've been doing Island this year.  We're enjoying it, and it's given us a more writing-light fall, which I think we needed.  I plan to alternate the two (with some extra thrown in!) since I think they give different strategies for writing (and of course MCT has much more).  IEW has some good formulas to follow to get good at writing conventions and try out some basic styles (more drill), while MCT's writing is more conceptual (probably more high-level thinking than IEW, IMHO).  I see the worth in both.