Menu

What do I need for knitting/crocheting?

hollyh

My 9yo wants to knit/crochet. My mom has taught her a little but doesn't live locally... I have practically no knowledge on this subject.  She is very crafty and learns quickly. What can I buy her to have her fully set up? - yarn, organizers, hooks, etc...  Amazon links are helpful!! ;)  

I saw ergonomic hooks too... are those good for young kids or should I start her on the regular aluminum ones?  HELP this non-crafty mom!!  Thanks!

• Like 1

I just taught a knit and crochet class for kids in this age range. I started them with bulky yarn (on the heavy side of size 5) and size K hoots for crochet. Size 10 knitting needles. I think crochet is easiest to start first. Now all that said, if she hasn't done hat looming I highly recommend doing that first. Anyone can make a hat in a couple hours and is a great way to practice tension and get a feel for how yarn starts to come together. This is what the looms look like.

https://jet.com/product/detail/f2dcbdd5ed57451793b519249905cbe5?jcmp=pla:ggl:arts_entertainment_a3:hobbies_creative_arts_arts_crafts_art_crafting_tools_a3_other:na:na:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&k_clickid=01f20bab-5ab7-3308-a308-0000688ac09b&gclid=CjwKEAiAndSzBRDp5P232v-qtHkSJABw-VdtCuqicMtqcCzfzTYg0uCmJFspqaP_fvYiRu9vojiihhoCgDfw_wcB

I love this yarn for beginners. Cheap, washable, doesn't unravel like some bulkys
https://www.herrschners.com/product/bernat%26%23174-+softee%26%23174-+chunky+yarn.do

ETA - I was on mobile before.  just a couple other thoughts.  For my class, everyone had the size 10 knitting needles, and the K hook and bulky.  Looms were borrowed or bought.  I recommended a small scissors, some yarn needles, and some stitch markers (the ones that open and close can be used for knit or crochet).  A pencil box for small notions and a small book bag or some separate bag to keep projects.  I actually taught mostly on circular needles, but some kids prefer the straights (I actually knit entirely on circulars).  I totally agree with not investing too much until you know what she thinks.  Almost all the kids in my class had some success (I had 11 kids).  Some had a strong preference between knit or crochet in the end.  Some really just liked looming. 

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 1

Until she actually learns and then wants to make a hobby of it, I would invest in the basics.  I only say this because she will probably develop preferences but won't know what they are until she gets into it.  This is what I would buy for a beginner. 

A basic hook (ergonomic hooks are great and comfortable IME) - size G or H 

Knitting needles - size 8 (or around this size), I would recommend wood because I find them not as slippery and I had a tendency to drop stitches very easily when learning but everyone has their preference. 

Worsted weight yarn (a couple of skeins)- something soft in a favorite color but not too dark (sometimes dark colors make it difficult to see the stitches)

Yarn needle - this is for sewing in the tails

Project bag - (something clear or tight mesh is my preference) to keep everything together.

Also, Youtube and KnittingHelp.com are great for tutorials.

I know others will have great tips.  Have fun picking everything out, and I hope you DD loves this new hobby.

• Like 2