Menu

Hake/Abeka/CLE for grammar

sunshineslp

curious your opinions on grammar for these three curriculum choices...

can you write in hake?  I've heard its very thin paper, is it doable if you prefer to have your child write in the text? 

Which is your favorite and why? 

Here is what I am hoping for:  independent lessons ( this would be for 4th grade), workbook format, diagramming offered, open and go, easy to teach, easy to use with multiple kids (maybe not all on the same level, but just easy to use different levels between several students). 

I can only speak to Hake and level 5.

It is open and go.  I let my son write in the workbook and it was no problem.  It did have diagramming, was easy to teach, and he completed it mostly independently.  I only used it for one kid, but I can't imagine it would be hard to use with many. 

I switched from Hake only because it was a lot of writing for each lesson (for my kid-he was taking shortcuts) and I wasn't using the "writing" portion.  He learned a lot in the one year we used it though!

I'm actually leaning towards CLE next year b/c I want to go back to the workbook style.  My younger son is using CLE for math and we've loved the format.  I know LA will be different, but overall, I like the way the Lightunits work. 

I've never used Hake, but I did use ABeka one year with each of my kids. I love CLE! 

The reasons I prefer CLE to ABeka are:

spiral with good review

explanations are clearer

the practice exercises just seem more practical to me

spelling included, but I mainly use it for the vocabulary (love that the words are grouped by category)

only need the answer key (2 books) instead of so many components to ABeka

curious your opinions on grammar for these three curriculum choices...

can you write in hake?  I've heard its very thin paper, is it doable if you prefer to have your child write in the text? 

Which is your favorite and why? 

Here is what I am hoping for:  independent lessons ( this would be for 4th grade), workbook format, diagramming offered, open and go, easy to teach, easy to use with multiple kids (maybe not all on the same level, but just easy to use different levels between several students). 

ABeka's language beats grammar to death every.single.year. There's some writing, but most of the actual assignments are in the teacher's curriculum, which is mostly classroom management which homeschoolers don't need. It is my least favorite of ABeka's materials.

I have not used Hake but it does look good. :-)

CLE would be the most independent, and it's a workbook.