Menu

AoPS Pre-A online class?

SierraNevada

The time has come where I think DS would be better served taking math from an outside person. I know there are other aops threads on here--but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Approx. how much time per day is there in homework? How many problems per day? Are assignments graded by the parent or actually turned in to the teacher? Are there tests and a final grade given? Any other info you can give that might help make this decision easier? The class is live right?

I know that AoPS is the right program for DS--I'm

Just not sure if the actual live class is the way to go yet.

Thanks!

Edited by SierraNevada

The class homework consists of a weekly set of online challenge problems that's just for the class - including at least one long-answer, written response - plus Alcumus.  The book portion you handle yourself at home.

The class is once per week, live, in a text-chat format.  There's also a class message board for asking for help and helping classmates.

Edited by wapiti

WTMA also offers a course based on AoPS curriculum. They said in another thread in the main curriculum board that pre-algebra is full this year, but it was going to be offered again in the fall. The instructor described in detail how she is running the class, if you wanted to compare.

I have no personal experience with either, but we do use AoPS pre-algebra on our own, but not using the more typical discovery method.

I have to admit that, after the teacher explained how the WTMA AoPS classes are run, they seem like a much better fit for my kid. He's not there yet, but I can't imagine him getting more out of a fast-moving chat box vs. a live teacher. Plus, the breakneck speed of the AoPS classes intimidates me, especially for kids that are taking these intensive classes 2 or 3+ years before their age peers.

Okay. I'm not worried about the pace. Ds has already been through pre-A Jousting Armadilos and done quite a bit of alcumus. He is very strong in math. If I were putting him in Alg 1 right now I might want the slower paced WTM class. What is the quality of teacher like at the WTM. I know he lives the AoPS videos and that style. And do they only start August at the WTM--we need something NOW. Thanks for all your great responses so far.