Menu

Psychiatric medication for my 11yo...

Wendi

We're seriously thinking of taking ds11 (will be 12 next month) to the psychiatrist (again). He was doing quite a bit better a year ago as far as his moods and emotional/angry outbursts, but I think puberty is kicking in and he has gotten worse again. He is miserable, insists he is trying as hard as he can to control himself but he cant, he hates being this way, etc.

We have done relatively short trials of drugs when he was younger. We had him on Risperdal for several months, but took him off of it (per doctor) when he complained of rapid heartbeat and stomachaches.

Does anyone have any experience with medications for extreme moodiness, impulsivity, emotional outbursts, etc.?

Thanks,

Wendi

P.S. Your prayers and good thoughts would be greatly appreciated. We've had a ROUGH week.

Our 16 yos hit extremely rough waters around age 12. Unfortunately we didn't start medicating until 14. It has not been an easy situation for us. His meds help, but there is still a lot of emotional gunk.

Every child is different. I would simply work with your psy to find meds that work. Definitely keep a close eye on him and keep communication open. At 12, he should be able to tell you he thinks he is being affected by the meds, though sometimes I think I can see more than even my 16 yo can tell.

Our ds is currently on Lamictal and Cymbalta. I think he needs to have his doseage changed again b/c things are spiraling again (teen yrs require frequent dose adjustments). SSRIs gave our ds severe depressive/psychotic episodes, so I can't emphasize enough the need to trust your instincts as to how you think he is being affected.

My 12dd is on meds for bipolar. I would seek out a TOP NOTCH pediatric psychiatrist. Meds are the treatment of choice and very often it is a combination of meds.

Google "pediatric bipolar treatment guidelines" for lost of great information.

My dd is doing wonderfully on Lamictal, Tegretol, and Risperdal. Lithium was another great med for her. Each child though is different and meds are very individual. I would just be very cautious of the SSRIs for kids with mood issues.

If he is asking for help by all means go get him the help he needs.

A good higher protein diet, exercise, daily sunshine, and supplements (like http://www.omegabrite.com) are all helpful but meds are almost always needed.

Definitely see a good child psychiatrist if you can. Puberty can often make these issues worse.

My dd and I both have bipolar disorder. She's on different medicine than I am. She struggles with impulsivity, anger, and extreme silliness and talkativeness. Right now she uses Prozac and Lamictal. It helps her gain control. She also is attending weekly therapy for now.

I use lithium as a mood stabilizer. It's what works best for me. Everyone is so different and it does sometimes take a long time to figure out what works best.

I hope you find answers soon. It's hard on the parents and it's really hard on the child. (((HUGS)))