Menu

Does Analytical Grammar teach verb tenses?

ellebro

Hi,

I'm looking at switching from GWG to AG with my kids, because I think the sequential, simpler format will help my kids' comprehension of the topics.  (I'm not seeing great comprehension of grammar concepts with GWG.)

But I haven't been able to tell from the AG website whether they teach verb tenses.  I think a basic, non-esoteric knowledge of verb tenses is important - have walked, had walked, will walk, will be walking, etc...

Does anyone know if AG/Jr. AG teaches verb tenses?

Thanks,

Ellen

:-)

If you want grammar with a thorough treatise on verbs - including tense, mood, number, voice, person, transitive vs intransitive, etc - MCT Magic Lens has you covered.

I'm a big fan of later grammar study, when they can really dig into it. Most 8 year olds can pick up parts of speech easily enough, and it's about all they need - except aye subject-verb agreement - until their composition skills pick up.

I've looked at MCT (actually I think I ordered it once) but I really want something with diagramming.  I like some things about Analytical Grammar, but in the samples I find some of their explanations confusing.

I like the sentence analysis, approach, though, and I was really excited a few days ago to find (through a post on this board) Daily Grammar Practice from DGP Publishing.  It has elements I've loved from other programs, all combined together into one package.  Namely, sentence analysis on two levels (parts of speech as well as parts of sentence), diagramming, and sentence imitation.  

I was also excited to find Warriner's Grammar -- I'm pretty sure this is the textbook I used in 9th grade that really helped grammar click for me!  It explains grammar concepts so clearly and understandably, much more than any other program I've looked at.   I ordered a used copy from Amazon for $.01 and just got it today.

For this coming semester I'm going to try a combination of DGP and Warriner's - Warriner's for the explicit instruction, and DGP for daily practice.  

:-)

The more I look at Warriner's grammar, the more I like it.  I actually really like the composition exercises too.  I'm thinking I may trying using the First Course as my primary grammar and writing curriculum next year for my ds who will be in 7th grade.  I'm thinking I could do the Warriner's grammar mostly orally and then use DGP for daily written grammar practice.