Menu

different way of thinking - funny

naturalmom

My ds (6) was doing the graphs in the Singapore Intensive Practice 2B. He is just starting to read on his own, so he did the page himself. When I checked it, he had one answer wrong. Here's the problem:

The money that Benson, Cathy and Dion save is used to buy a present for their friend, Eason. Eason's present costs: _______

The graph shows a dollar sign for each $10, and when you add the amounts it comes to $170 (and that's what the book says). But my son put $150. I'm thinking he was a little too quick in his head and he miscalculated. So I showed it to him, and he said - but Benson spent some of his money already. Lo and behold, 2 questions earlier, it said "If Benson spends $$, he will be left with ___ dollars."

So I guess he was paying too much attention, right?

Groan... This is WAY too familiar a story. Make sure you tell him that math children are all assumed alike, all assumed to have nothing to do with an earlier problem unless you are specifically told not, that they never eat any of those apples between when you hear about them and when they are counted, that they never put anything in their pockets, ....

-Nan