Menu

Added teen driver - car insurance went down

Pegasus

My title is a bit misleading but I wanted to reassure folks that it is not necessarily true that adding a teen driver to your car insurance will raise your rates through the roof.  Even our insurance agent laughed that it was good we were sitting down when we met with her.

DD19 recently upgraded to a full driver's license and needed to be officially added to our insurance policy. We had her assigned to our oldest vehicle, dropped collision and comprehensive on that vehicle, and raised the deductible to $1,000.  DD was eligible for various discounts, being a good student and having completed a drivers education course.  End result - the insurance cost for that vehicle actually went down about $10 per six-months.  

• Like 4

When my oldest got married we dropped him from our car insurance.  Nothing else changed.  Our insurance went up about $8/month.  I guess they felt he was a better driver than us old geezers.   :glare:

Officially they told us we were given a discount with him on the policy and being away at college most of the year.  That discount disappeared when he wasn't on our policy any longer.

We've never had our policy go up much when we added our boys.  I like it that way.  

(We have USAA due to being prior military - eligibility continues as long as we keep it I think.  Oldest son was able to stay with USAA even though he has no military background, but I don't think it's open to everyone.)