Menu

Wes Callihan/Roman Roads Media Old Western Culture on Co-op Sale!

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/old-western-culture/

Expires 11:59 p.m. 11/30 - that's tomorrow!

I'm selfishly hoping this gets to 40%! Really great deal on a fantastic product. I love that this will allow all my kids to enjoy Wes Callihan's teaching, even if there are years that we can't afford a live discussion class. 

(Is anyone using this currently? Would love more feedback! I'm 90% committed to using this for history/lit for high school.)

• Like 3

Hoping it makes 40% too!

I played the sample videos for DH and he said, "I want to take this course!" Many things about the course impress me, but I was particularly taken with Callihan's style. He is obviously well versed, knowledgeable, and passionate, but he is composed and humble, very salt of the earth, in his delivery. No pretense, no pedantics, no passion-gone-over-the-top pitches to attempt to win students over.

We are using Greeks this year. I was buyer number 15 today getting Romans. Definitely adore this curriculum.

Major Pros: Extremely independent. My son is able to do 85% by himself and have thoughtful, engaged conversations with me about the content.

Fantastic summarizing of literary content into understandable, but not watered down language.

Wes Callihan has such an approachable style/personality that my son does not fight reading the books or watching the videos. Thirty minutes is a very nice length for the videos and one to two chapters in a sitting is a good stretch.

Cons: I do not know if I feel like there is as much history as I would like there to be. It is in there, but I am thinking that a bit more of a blatant historical reference, timeline, open discussion might be stronger.

Light on writing. Not exactly a con, but more a "wouldn't it be awesome" if there were more than one paper every nine weeks. I personally just tweeted this. No biggie.

If you fall behind on the included schedule, it is very hard to get back on track. Again, not a terribly large deal, but time management is a skill still progressing in my youngin'.

• Like 1

We highly recommend the Old Western Culture videos along with the live classes offered through Schola Tutorials. My son is in his fourth year with Mr. Callihan, and my daughter in her second year. They love Mr. C and say he's "Awesome!" (Yes, that was a quote. I just asked my daughter.) Do be prepared with your own writing assignments or use Writing Assessment Services. Our only problem has been trying to combine the live classes with the DVD schedule has been a little wacky. We prefer the old schedule on Schola Tutorials which was much less confusing. Other than that, we can't recommend this enough.