Menu

is dropping prepositions a thing? or does DH have an affectation?

So what do you shout instead of:

"Are you done your homework?"

"No, but I'll do it right away!"

"I'm doing it now!"

"Yes, I'm done!"

"Are you done with your homework?"

"No, but I'll do with it right away!"

"I'm doing with it now!"

"Yes, I'm done with it!"

I (a non-native) hear it in New England, too - I also hear ladies who are "pregnant for Joey" (instead of "pregnant WITH Joey"). The worst one yet is all the people I hear "going down cellar." :)

Gah- what part of New England??!!  Must be one closer to Canada... ;) I've lived in New England pretty much my whole life, and I've never heard such a thing...

I (a non-native) hear it in New England, too - I also hear ladies who are "pregnant for Joey" (instead of "pregnant WITH Joey"). The worst one yet is all the people I hear "going down cellar." :)

Isn't she technically "pregnant BY Joey" -- unless Joey is just nearby the pregnancy, but not the cause?

"I'm doing it now!"

"Yes, I'm done!"

"I'm doing with it now!"

"Yes, I'm done with it!"

I can try to parse it for you.  

The only one missing the "with" is the first sentence.

If I may, I will change it to a statement, because a statement is easier for me to do than a question.

You        are                     done                           your                  homework.

noun     verb                 adjective                     adjective              noun

subject  linking verb    subject complement           ?                        ?

You        are                     done                     with                        your                  homework.

noun     verb                 adjective                 preposition           adjective              noun

subject  linking verb    subject complement   ----------prepositional phrase-----------------------            

I could go through all the sentences and label the types of words, but I don't think anyone is actually that interested.          

• Like 2

"I'm doing it now!"

"Yes, I'm done!"

"I'm doing with it now!"

"Yes, I'm done with it!"

:lol:  No, no, no!

Done with = finished with, or completed.  The only one that's an atrocity in your first list is the first one.  You're done with your homework, but the rest are current or future, so no implication of completion, so different constructions - will do, am doing - correct.  It sounds just fine to say "I'm done" alone the "with it", as the whole phrase is implied, what would awful would be "Yes, I'm done it"

I'll agree with others that "I have finished my dinner" sounds fine, but "I am finished my dinner" is ear-bleed-worthy.

• Like 1

I can try to parse it for you.  

The only one missing the "with" is the first sentence.

If I may, I will change it to a statement, because a statement is easier for me to do than a question.

You        are                     done                           your                  homework.

noun     verb                 adjective                     adjective              noun

subject  linking verb    subject complement           ?                        ?

You        are                     done                     with                        your                  homework.

noun     verb                 adjective                 preposition           adjective              noun

subject  linking verb    subject complement   ----------prepositional phrase-----------------------            

I could go through all the sentences and label the types of words, but I don't think anyone is actually that interested.          

YES.  That's the key difference.  also with the 'finished' example - with the verb 'to be', the past participle after it is not a verb at all, but an adjective.  "Have finished" on the other hand is a verb phrase (past perfect), so you don't need the preposition.

• Like 2