Menu

Free/Cheap spelling

ReadingMama1214

DD will be 4 next month. She started sounding out words on her own and we started OPGTR and she is on lesson 34 and doing wel reading. CVC words. She is also doing the beginner readers on progressive phonics and does excellent with those. I expect her to do well with The CVC lessons in OPG and maybe slow down with blends and such.

She will attend K at a charter school starting in fall of 2017 due to her birthday. Our cutoff is Oct 1 and she has a Dec birthday. They don't usually let you skip grades and due to her small size (she's Barey 30lbs and 3ft at 4) I probably wouldn't let her.

My question is, do I do a spelling program with her? I saw they recommend one half way through OPG. I'm assuming we will be half way through or done by the time she starts K. Or do I let the school deal with it? They use Riggs. Are there free/cheap spelling programs? She has some apps and does well spelling CVC words.

She's still so very young.

Unless she is showing signs of wanting to write or spell on her own, don't bother with spelling.

Do start building up small motor skill in those hands (playdough, coloring, scissors, etc.),

so when she is mentally and emotionally ready to start writing, she will be physically ready.

If she starts trying to write on her own, teach proper letter formation before she decelops bad habbits.

• Like 1

thanks! She can write and does ask how to spell things. Yesterday she drew an octopus and asked me how to spell it so that she can write it. She'll write her name (upper and lowercase) and write simple CVC words that she's memorized.

I think we will wait for spelling and just spell as she asks or correct her spelling when she does write.

• Like 1

She's three? I think you're making a good decision not to do spelling. And you're also doing a great job by answering her questions and encouraging her curiosity.

I agree with the PP about working on motor skills through fun activities. Besides reading aloud, I'd make an effort to go out and explore nature and the world around you and provide lots of opportunity for free play.

Here are some two thread that might help you. If you've been hanging around, you may know how things have turned out for the kids of the moms who have contributed to them.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/561715-homeschooling-preschool-and-kindergarten-angst/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/228359-your-thoughts-on-early-childhood-education/

Edited by Tiramisu

Thanks! I read the threads and they seemed helpful. We do get out and go to parks, the zoo, and the science/nature museum regularly. We live in an apartment downtown so we have to travel to get to the outdoors, but we do so on a regular basis. At home she has lots of free time and open access to arts and craft supplies. Most of her toys are open ended and imaginative play which she does a lot. She's taught herself to write most letters and I haven't started with handwriting really yet.

thanks! She can write and does ask how to spell things. Yesterday she drew an octopus and asked me how to spell it so that she can write it. She'll write her name (upper and lowercase) and write simple CVC words that she's memorized.

I think we will wait for spelling and just spell as she asks or correct her spelling when she does write.

Keep following her lead.  She is doing great!  Don't change a thing b/c right now she's learning and loving it.