Menu

Why RSVP if you're not coming?

Tohru

If some one RSVPs yes, why don't they show up?

Or at least be considerate and change thier rsvp to no,

Or at least tell some one they aren't coming? If they can't come, it's fine, just let some one know so others don't wait and wait!

Don't these no-shows realize other people are waiting for them? I just don't get it. It seems to be happening more and more often. It is so frustrating!

• Like 2

I started calling people out on it.... if someone RSVP's for a field trip, party, or anything- and then doesn't show up.... I always email them soon after the event, like, within a few hours, and say something like, "Are you OK? We were waiting for you at the trip/party, and you never showed up, so I was just checking to make sure you guys are safe. Please let me know you huys are alright :) "

If they ignore the email, they will never, ever, get another invite from me- ever.

If they respond back that someone was sick or whatever, whether it was true or a copout, at least they know that in the future, they better do better, or they will get called out on it.

That seems to work... I have had one or two people here or there be honest and say, "Oh, sorry, I forgor to write it down!" or whatever.... and I nicely tell them thanks for being honest, but it was very inconvenient for me, and could they try better next time? And, they do. If they didn't, and it happened again, that would be on the no invite list.

• Like 6

Around here people never seem to RSVP in the first place, then some show up and some don't. It's almost like they wait until the very last minute, then decide whether to go or not. Very frustrating.

I think this is the rudest possible approach. It seems, whether the case or not, that the holder-outer is waiting for a better offer. If nothing better comes up, sure they'll come to my piddly party. If someone more interesting makes a better offer, they will do that instead.

Not classy, people.

• Like 3

This is just, so, so common anymore. Twenty years ago when I did weddings people showed up and if someone was sick they called the host to let them know. I haven't done any weddings for two years, but the last five years of weddings I did do were crazy. People showing up after RSVPing no because it was too rainy to do anything outside, people not coming and not letting the host know to the point where the host spent 5K to 15K on no shows depending on the price point of the event.

Also, people used to call ahead about dietary restrictions. In the last ten years people have begun to turn up with a laundry list of dietary restrictions to be dealt with right during dinner. So, so rude, and yet people do it every event. I cant eat nuts or I will die, I also can't eat berries, lettuce, meat or dairy, but dinner better be good. And if you think these people EVER say thank you for busting your but to accommodate them, you can think again.

• Like 2