Menu

Spelling rules for older student

Storygirl

DD13 needs help with spelling. Although we used language arts programs that included spelling, she still misspells many words. She learned to read easily and kind of jumped over a lot of phonics lessons right into reading fluently. Now I can see that the spelling lessons that she had were not sufficient for solidifying the rules in her mind. I think she would benefit from a review of spelling rules, but I'd like something that is streamlined. She memorizes easily and does not need a workbook with tons of practice of concepts.

We don't want to devote a lot of our time to this, but we need to address it. I'm wondering if there is a program that presents a spelling rule and then a list of words that follow that rule. Something that can be done in just a year would be best. I don't want to drag this out over several years, because we need to use our time to work on other things.

Any ideas?

Edited to fix a spelling error :laugh: .

Edited by Storygirl

How to Teach Spelling by Rudginsky might work (sorry, ugly link since I am on my iPad):

http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Spelling-Laura-Toby-Rudginsky/dp/0838818471/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1447771447&sr=1-1&keywords=how+to+teach+spelling

Some of it would be too basic, but you could go through and select the sections that made sense for her to practice and probably pare it down to a year's worth of study pretty easily. There are lists of words and dictation sentences.

• Like 2