Menu

Pre-Algebra

frogger

I'm looking for a pre-algebra for my literature and art living child who has absolutely no interest in math and science. She understands things quickly but also quickly shuts off and gets this glazed look over her face and starts drooling. Just kidding about the later at least.

I do think something like Teaching Textbooks where it reviews problems over time rather than repeatedly in one lesson is good. She gets bored quick but something that was a bit faster paced and more in depth would be good. Currently I go through 2-4 lessons with her at a time and she does just one problem set at the end of the lesson we completed. So she is only doing a third of the book. I don't know if what I'm looking for exists. She forgets if she doesn't review things but she isn't really that slow of a learner so I feel that teaching textbooks would short change her.

If I did just skip to TT Algebra, would it cover the pre-algebra concepts we've missed like working with equations and basic graphing, etc? That may be an option too.

Sounds like your child might like Jousting Armadillos or Life of Fred.

I use TT with my son, who has dyslexia and other learning issues. I love TT for him, but I wouldn't really recommend it for kids who don't struggle with math. It's pretty basic.

You could try the new Math Mammoth pre-algebra if you wanted something pretty rigorous. We never used the new level 7, but when we did use MM, I felt it had adequate review. 

• Like 1

I'd take a look at Jousting Armadillos with a child like you describe. It's written to the student, very conversational, with a ton of literary allusions.  My dd loves it.  You could pair it with something like Zacarro's Real World Algebra, which also has good explanations and more word problems, but very tangible and, well, Real-World problems. So they understand the point of learning algebra, which seems to really help with this kind of a kid.

• Like 2

My daughter sounds much like yours. She loves literature, writing, and history. She doesn't love math but she's just breezing through Right Start E and doing very well. I don't want her to get bored so I want her to be challenged. But I think AoPS will be way too tough. I plan to try Jousting Armadillos and other books in the series. Possibly Jacobs Algebra. Maybe Jacobs geometry. That's my tentative plan.