Menu

What does "knowing how to cook" mean to you?

Bootsie

What does "knowing how to cook" mean to you?  If you think that it is important for your children to learn this skill, what is included?  

My grandmother would probably think I do not know how to cook--I would have no idea how to wring a chicken's neck, clean the chicken, cut it up, and fry it.  

My friends in Austria would think I do not know how to cook because I haven't mastered Wiener Schnitzel, Spaetzle, and Apple Streudel.

My mom cooked a great deal when I was growing up, but she has not managed well living alone (somehow cooking something and freezing a portion for later has always been difficult for her).  

What does "knowing how to cook" mean to you?  If you think that it is important for your children to learn this skill, what is included?  

My grandmother would probably think I do not know how to cook--I would have no idea how to wring a chicken's neck, clean the chicken, cut it up, and fry it.  

My friends in Austria would think I do not know how to cook because I haven't mastered Wiener Schnitzel, Spaetzle, and Apple Streudel.

My mom cooked a great deal when I was growing up, but she has not managed well living alone (somehow cooking something and freezing a portion for later has always been difficult for her).  

I think it means being able to create a tasty dish without following a recipe.  You know the basic fundamentals of food preparation and can make substitutions easily.  You would know the best methods for cooking different foods, i.e. tough meats would be marinated and/or simmered while tender meats would be cooked more quickly.  I think cooking and baking are two separate skills so one could be a good cook without being a good baker or vis-versa. 

I think it means being able to create a tasty dish without following a recipe.  You know the basic fundamentals of food preparation and can make substitutions easily.  You would know the best methods for cooking different foods, i.e. tough meats would be marinated and/or simmered while tender meats would be cooked more quickly.  I think cooking and baking are two separate skills so one could be a good cook without being a good baker or vis-versa. 

I agree with you. Even though I cook every night and even though my family enjoys my meals, I don't consider myself able to cook because of all the things you've said.

Knowing how to cook is not confined to a certain set of recipes IMHO. But the hallmark of experienced cooks seems to be their abiity to adapt, perhaps be adventurous and try out new things but also know how ingredients taste when combined what flavors various methods of cooking, stir frying, roasting, sauteeing, etc. produce.