Menu

If I already have the Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia...

forty-two

Is there any reason to get the Usborne Science Encyclopedia (which is the one rec'd in WTM)? 

I'm wondering why WTM rec's the Usborne science encyclopedias over the Kingfisher ones, while SWB rec's  Kingfisher for history. 

Thanks for helping - or hindering - my book buying tendencies, whichever one is called for in this instance ;).

Is there any reason to get the Usborne Science Encyclopedia (which is the one rec'd in WTM)? 

I'm wondering why WTM rec's the Usborne science encyclopedias over the Kingfisher ones, while SWB rec's  Kingfisher for history. 

Thanks for helping - or hindering - my book buying tendencies, whichever one is called for in this instance ;).

What ages?

I have both and I like both.  I think Kingfisher Science is written to a higher level than Usborne Science. I feel like Kingfisher Science is more of an upper middle school level, and Usborne is upper elementary/lower middle school.  But maybe it's just my kids.  Usborne is perfect for my 3rd and 5th grader, and while we pull from Kingfisher, I have to skip over parts that are over their heads.

The history versions are different.  My 3rd grader has no problem with the Kingfisher History (or the Usborne).  For history, I prefer the Kingfisher.  The Usborne just doesn't go into enough depth.

• Like 2

What ages?

I have both and I like both.  I think Kingfisher Science is written to a higher level than Usborne Science. I feel like Kingfisher Science is more of an upper middle school level, and Usborne is upper elementary/lower middle school.  But maybe it's just my kids.  Usborne is perfect for my 3rd and 5th grader, and while we pull from Kingfisher, I have to skip over parts that are over their heads.

The history versions are different.  My 3rd grader has no problem with the Kingfisher History (or the Usborne).  For history, I prefer the Kingfisher.  The Usborne just doesn't go into enough depth.

I'm thinking mostly of the 9yo, but I also have a 7yo and 4yo.  We have the Usborne Book of World History, and that's been something dd9 can read on her own - she pulls it off the shelf on occasion.  And, yeah, the Kingfisher Science does look like it's written on a whole 'nother level - guess I can give it a try and see how it works.  I usually like to buy books used when I can, and the Usborne science encyclopedia is almost as much used as new on Amazon - I don't want to buy it unless it I need it.  The various Usborne First Encyclopedias, otoh, are all under $5 used, but I wasn't sure if they'd be more for dd7 instead of dd9 (and they are all awfully short).  I was also looking at the DK First Reference books - they seemed to be at a higher level than the Usborne First Encyclopedias (and twice as long), but at a lower level than Kingfisher Science.

I know the Usborne science used price can fluctuate, so if you are able to wait to see if it goes down, maybe that could be an option. But, it's also a book you will use for several years, so it maybe be worthwhile to purchase new if you need it immediately.

I haven't used any other Usborne science books, but if you are looking for more science books, my kids have also liked the Scholastic Discover More series. The books cover individual topics like weather, rocks and minerals, elements and more. The pictures are fantastic and each book also includes a code for online access to an online ebook.

I owned those too, 42, all that you mention.  I'd buy the Usborne topical books (not the first books)--Usborne book of the microscope and the topical ones before I'd buy the Scholastic ones or the DK ones.  Older editions of the Usborne are fine---most are <$20.

Having owned and sold a number of books, I believe there is wisdom in owning one reference item (a very good one), and limiting the amount of clutter on your bookshelves. It's easy too own too many good resources and then bypass the best.

• Like 2