Menu

LA for an advanced 8yo

OlgaLA

I am bringing home my 3rd grader next Monday, and I still have no idea what to do for language arts with him. He likes throwing curve-balls at me. He didn't talk until 2y2m. The he started talking in long sentences. Until he was 4, he spoke Russian only. He knew his Russian letters and could read syllables, but wouldn't read whole words. I didn't push. About 9 months after starting English daycare he could read simple words in English. After preK he could read at about 2-3 grade level. Apparently he taught himself, since I only focused on his Russian at that time and none of his classmates managed to do that, so it wasn't  the classroom either. He writes really well, I think, with good grammar and great spelling (I am talking about words like Renaissance). I gave him a pretest from a middle school grammar program, and he scored 80% on it, with mistakes in parallel structures, some theory questions, since he doesn't know all definitions, and some punctuation. So what do I do with a kid like that? His maturity level is very much appropriate for an 8 year old boy and his attention span tends to disappear when he is bored. He likes writing though, so maybe I can just have him write for other subjects and discuss his mistakes as we go? He doesn't mind corrections, even in his free writing. In fact, he comes to me and asks to correct the mistakes. He usually doesn't repeat them. I still feel like I need to do something structured for English. Any ideas?

The English books from Galore Park might be a good fit.  The literature passages are interesting and come from proper books; the grammar is not excessive; the writing prompts can be elaborated as you wish.  Junior Book 2 would be the age appropriate one - you don't want to go too high, otherwise the content will be too mature:

http://www.galorepark.co.uk/getmedia/4cd2eb06-90af-40d9-8853-f9ead19b5fed/Junior-English-Book-2-sample-pages.aspx

• Like 2