Menu

How to filter internet content?

shanezomom

The wireless router/modem in our house is supplied by our internet service provider and cannot be configured to filter any content. I have added a Netgear wireless router to serve as the internet gateway and I set up Open DNS to do the filtering before it goes out to our devices. I chose custom filtering where I can exclude specific categories that I want to be blocked. I have tried other "family safety" software programs before that were too restrictive to the point of blocking me from using eBay so I want to pick more specific categories rather than broad sweeps of content. Well, I decided to test things out on my laptop tonight and it is absolutely not working. So can someone explain how to do this right? We have Windows, Android and Apple devices all accessing the internet here and I don't want to configure each device hoping those filters will work properly. 

You can restrict access to adults sites within each device.  You can set passcodes in order to access them.  There is also a way to enter your device on your router in order to track each device's web history (not filtering, just checking up on).  I had read about it at one point, but I haven't implemented it.  There is no external filtering device, that I know of, that can limit mobile devices access.

• 6 months later...

I had the same issue with OpenDNS, and if you google around, you'll find solutions.  I think I had to empty the caches on each device and possibly restart them...  I can't remember exactly, but OpenDNS does work, and works well, IMO.  The only thing I wish it could do is filter youtube content, but obviously it can't be done.  

OpenDNS filters so well, in fact, that it blocks the images in my promotional email from Victoria's Secret, lol.  I keep meaning to unsubscribe from the list, but I can't access VS from home, so I have to remember to bring my iPad to a friend's house and do it there, because that somehow seems easier than turning OpenDNS off for ten minutes.  lol.  

• Like 1

Yes, check the OpenDNS settings, and make sure you're using the Family version.  It does work very well, IMO.  I have tried the same searches using WiFi with OpenDNS Family as well as with 3G without any filtering, and results are markedly different.

We also use Qustodio (which is cheaper than Covenant Eyes, I believe), and I like that because I can customize filtering for different members of the family.  All child accounts (which right now is just DD age 14 and DS1 age 11) block p*rnography, mature content, weapons-related sites, gambling, drugs, alcohol, and maybe a couple of others, and they enforce SafeSearch, which also means that the kids can't turn off the Restricted YouTube setting.  DH's and my accounts only block p*rnography and uncategorized sites and alert us if we access mature content (mainly because if we get a virus or something, we'd like to have some idea of where they're coming from), and we do not have Restricted YouTube.  (Yes, I will relax the filters as they get older.)  I'm quite happy with our settings, and it's fairly uncommon that we run up against something that shouldn't be blocked.  Qustodio also has a free filter, I think.  Their p*rn filter is very good.