Menu

Need to stay in San Diego for a month. What neighborhood?

J-rap

For medical purposes, we'll be staying in San Diego for a month come February.  I have found many airbnb rentals in the gaslight district.  Places there (stores, etc.) are walkable, which is a plus since we probably won't be bringing our car.  Is that a safe/okay neighborhood?  Can you recommend other neighborhoods?  Priorities are:  safety, walkable to markets/cafes, near public transportation.

Thanks! 

Honestly, San Diego is pretty safe. We used to live downtown and had no issues, though there is a sizable homeless population. Hillcrest, North Park, Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach, and the Village of La Jolla are all walkable neighborhoods. Will you need to be close to the hospital/medical offices?

Do you mean Gaslamp? It's very walkable, though not terribly family friendly. It's a big nightlife activity area. There are hundreds of bars, restaurants etc.. and some areas get very very busy on weekend nights. It does have good access to public transportation though, not all areas of San Diego do. DH and I stayed in a condo a few months ago that is sort of on the outskirts, and it wasn't crazy busy over where we were. You said you are coming for medical reasons? Can you tell us what hospital so we can tell you what area to stay near? Our neighborhood doesn't even have bus access on the weekend...

Do you mean Gaslamp? It's very walkable, though not terribly family friendly. It's a big nightlife activity area. There are hundreds of bars, restaurants etc.. and some areas get very very busy on weekend nights. It does have good access to public transportation though, not all areas of San Diego do. DH and I stayed in a condo a few months ago that is sort of on the outskirts, and it wasn't crazy busy over where we were. You said you are coming for medical reasons? Can you tell us what hospital so we can tell you what area to stay near? Our neighborhood doesn't even have bus access on the weekend...

Ha, yes, it must be the Gaslamp area.  It will be just my husband and myself, so it doesn't necessarily need to be family friendly, just friendly.  :)  We would mostly be out during the day.  My husband will be in a medical study through Sharp Memorial, though we hope to take advantage of other stroke rehab therapies while there, which may likely be in different areas.  So, I guess we're concentrating more on just a nice livable area to be our home base, assuming we can get to where we need to go, from there.

Ha, yes, it must be the Gaslamp area.  It will be just my husband and myself, so it doesn't necessarily need to be family friendly, just friendly.  :)  We would mostly be out during the day.  My husband will be in a medical study through Sharp Memorial, though we hope to take advantage of other stroke rehab therapies while there, which may likely be in different areas.  So, I guess we're concentrating more on just a nice livable area to be our home base, assuming we can get to where we need to go, from there.

Honestly, most of San Diego is about as livable as it gets. Sharp Memorial is in Kearny Mesa, which is about 10-15 minutes to the Gaslamp, depending on traffic.

• Like 1

Gaslamp is definitely adult friendly, LOL. Just not a lot of playgrounds etc.. for kids. Sharp Hospital is only about 10-15 minutes by car, longer by bus. I'd suggest you use Google to map from where you are looking at renting, to Sharp Hospital. Our public transportation can be inconvenient at times. It took my ds 1.5 hours to get from our house to his internship (no traffic), and it only took me 20 minutes to drive him. Our transit website is a PITB to use, use Google and click on the bus route to see how long it will take and what bus numbers to take. The trolley can take you around also, but it doesn't go directly into the area around the hospital, you'd have to take a trolley to a bus. Balboa Park is downtown on Park Avenue. The museums are fantastic, and it's a beautiful place to walk. 

• Like 2