Menu

need recommendation for comfortable futon

SparklyUnicorn

We bought ours from a furniture store so it was a bit more expensive than the walmart type but it's still in excellent condition 12 years later. The mattress was what cost but it's more like a bed mattress with springs that is designed to fold in the middle rather than just covered foam.

Ikea makes a decently-priced futon like the one described above. It has innersprings and is designed in two pieces, so the mattress doesn't fold and get flat and uncomfortable when you use it as a bed. We've had ours for a VERY long time (10 years?), and while it's not where I'd like to sleep every night, I'm not embarrassed to offer it as an option for overnight guests.

The dimensions of the futon as a sofa are a little wonky - it's a very deep seat, which can be awkward if you have short legs like I do. I feel like Edith Ann! But I often sit criss-cross, so it's not an issue.

If you are looking for a futon that you will sleep on every night, you might consider going to a futon store or to a futon maker.  We bought our futon from guy who ran his own futon-making business.  The price was good and the quality has lasted almost 20 years of nightly use.

• Like 1

If you are looking for a futon that you will sleep on every night, you might consider going to a futon store or to a futon maker.  We bought our futon from guy who ran his own futon-making business.  The price was good and the quality has lasted almost 20 years of nightly use.

I never thought of having a futon made from a private business... I'm sure it's super comfortable.