Menu

6th Grade LA -- specifically writing (BW, WTMA or WIlson Hill)

ByGrace3

Ok I know it's only November...but I am already contemplating next year.

I have a few possible scenarios.

Option 1 is mostly do the next thing of what we are doing now which is working really well, but AG would be new.

Option 1) Analytical Grammar, BW(Arrow and Faltering Ownership) with a WTM slant, ;) R&S spelling 7, Reasoning and Reading 1, Word Up (vocab), Lit tied to history from VP and some MP book choices.

Option 2) the same as option 1 but instead of BW, WTMA expository writing (WWS 1)

Option 3) I have also considered Wilson Hill Academy Fundamentals of expository writing....seems like this class is writing and grammar? Just add spelling and vocab?

Some background: dd struggled through WWE 1-2 due to some comprehension issues but seems to have improved greatly with that, used BW and CAP Fable for 3rd, TC and Narrative 1 for 4th and this year are using a BW inspired Narnia LA. Her grammar, spelling, and sentence structure are solid -- I wouldn't say advanced but seem to be on target. She can do basic outlines and write a paragraph from an outline.

Dd has recently discovered "if I work hard I can get done early and have free time." I know novel concept. :lol: This has me leaning towards an online class to give her more independence. Also, with schooling 2 others, her being independent in as much as possible is a wonderful thing. But I am enjoying writing with her this year so that is ok too...

Cost is a consideration. We can make it happen, but I would have to finagle some things. Also, I want to get the most out of an online writing class so is it better to take those classes in 6th or wait until 7th?

Thoughts appreciated!

• Like 1

I know nothing about option 3 so I totally can't comment on that, but option 1 feels like a huge amount of work for most kids. That's a full grammar, a full writing that incorporates literature and some grammar, a full spelling, a vocab program, a full reading program and then some more lit program pieces thrown in. I'm tired just thinking about it. At this stage, solid writers don't necessarily need more spelling. I would definitely do either a spelling or a vocab and not both... and possibly not either. I mean, the whole idea behind BW is that you're using one book (with the Arrow) to teach many things - lit elements, a little bit of grammar, mechanics, vocabulary, etc. etc.

Of course, for some kids, it could be the right challenge.

I'm contemplating LA for next year too! I'm looking for 6th grade also, and am considering EIW - Essentials in Writing. Hopefully, hopefully, by next fall they will also have the new program Essentials in Literature for 6th grade done. That's a complete LA program, mostly student lead, no teaching on my part, and I can check it off.

We tried Analytical Grammar this year, and it was not a good fit for us at all. DD already had a considerable amount of grammar and diagramming experience, and it just seemed to drag on. I thought it was a faster moving program than it was, and I thought it was advanced. 

In hindsight, it's clear that I misunderstood its purpose. It is comprehensive, but if your DD already has a solid grammar and diagramming background, it might not be a great fit.

I agree with Farrar too that you might want to choose either spelling or vocabulary. Spelling is my DD's weakness, but after using (and finishing) so many spelling programs (AAS, LoE, Megawords, Phonetic Zoo, How To Teach Spelling), she has made huge improvements, but still isn't at grade level in her writing. But, we just stopped about 2 weeks ago, and I switched her back to MCT CE. She is loving the emphasis on stems and vocabulary, and we are both thankful to have a break from spelling. 

The first thing I noticed is you have two vocab books. R&S spelling 7 and 8 are root based vocab, and only one of the exercise sets has anything to do with actual spelling. My kids are done with spelling when they finish the 6 book, and we found separate vocab study to be redundant with high quality literature and studying a language. Choose one vocab book or drop them both.

The second thing I noticed is Reasoning and Reading 1 is pretty low for an average 6th grader. I'd definitely go with book 2. I consider these books logic and don't lump them with LA.

I don't know enough about the writing programs to comment either way, but I'm enjoying the simplicity of Analytical Grammar this year.

I am beyond thrilled with our LA line-up for 6th grade this year: WTMA Exp Writing 1 with Tom Hummel + AG+ an online lit class (Homeschool Book Study middle school level, without the essay grading). My sig says Word Wealth Jr, but I put that on hold and will do it during summers only as we have too much on our plate. My DD doesn't need much spelling/vocabulary work anyway, so even without WWJ, I think she's getting a complete, robust English education. So, I vote for #2 with either spelling OR vocabulary (not both) and whole books rather than a reading program.

The first thing I noticed is you have two vocab books. R&S spelling 7 and 8 are root based vocab, and only one of the exercise sets has anything to do with actual spelling. My kids are done with spelling when they finish the 6 book, and we found separate vocab study to be redundant with high quality literature and studying a language. Choose one vocab book or drop them both.

The second thing I noticed is Reasoning and Reading 1 is pretty low for an average 6th grader. I'd definitely go with book 2. I consider these books logic and don't lump them with LA.

I don't know enough about the writing programs to comment either way, but I'm enjoying the simplicity of Analytical Grammar this year.

So a question about Reading and Reasoning. She completed the beginner book last year, and CAP's website has R&R 1 for 5-6th grade. Is that not right? We have been doing 2 pages a week this year thinking to make the book last 2 years as per CAP...should I not? Should I have her complete the whole thing this year and do level 2 in 6th? She enjoys these books and they are relatively easy so doing the whole thing probably won't be an issue...

Word Up is a vocabulary DVD that just looks fun....its supplemental. I have considered being done with spelling after R&S 6, but wasn't sure if books 7-8 added much spelling wise. If books 7-8 are just vocab, then yes I probably would drop that for something more exciting. ;)

ETA: even with lost of exposure to great lit (readers and read alouds) she struggles with spelling and vocabulary. I am seeing improvement, but I am not comfortable just dropping both. Perhaps using a roots based vocab program that can double for Spelling would be ok though...

I didn't realize CAP set them so low. I definitely wouldn't worry about getting to R&R 2 too soon. My (precocious!) DD did 3/4 of the level 2 R&R last year as a fourth grader and loved it. I chased that this year with light stuff, Word Benders, classic logic puzzles, and such, and I'll hand her Art of Argument around Jan-Feb.

If you're concerned about vocab the R&S books are good.