Menu

Breastfeeding increases perforation risks with IUDs

ktgrok

I didn't know this when I got mine. I got it in large part because they felt it would stop my periods and I was chronically anemic. I am now no longer anemic, and haven't gotten my period in years. Well, in the past 2-3 months I've started having spotting that at first I thought was random but now I'm realizing is my period. 3 days of light to spotting. I'm assuming this is from the hormone changes after my weight loss, but I've also read that changes in bleeding can be a sign of it being displaced. Iv'e never ever been able to feel the strings, since day one (and it was placed right then, he checked with ultrasound before I left). Now I'm wondering if I need to get an ultrasound to make sure it is where it should be, given the new pattern to bleeding.

Anyway, it was researching that that I came across the new information about breastfeeding increasing the risk of perforation and wanted to share. 

I still wouldn't overly worry.  When a person loses weight their cycle may be different.  But call your nurse on call or MD if you are worried.  Good health!

Thanks. I'm mostly thinking that is the case, that it is from the weight loss. But I think I'd feel better knowing for sure.