Menu

Sherlock Holmes (Stories)

Plateau Mama

I will check this one out. Buy collection I was meaning a complete collection. I looked on Amazon and there were several to choose from. Reviews said stories were missing or out of order etc, so I wasn't sure how to find a good collection. I've never read any Sherlock so I have no clue what to look for. 😕

JMO: , The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes has the most stories that are likely to connect well with a first-time reader:

- A Scandal in Bohemia

- The Red-Headed League

- The Blue Carbuncle

- The Speckled Band

Also, that is the earliest of the short story collections, so that's a good one to start with, as it takes place earlier in his career. There are 2 novels that precede Adventures -- A Study in Scarlet, and, The Sign of the Four. which establish the characters and Holmes' method of deduction, but I think it's fine to just jump in with short stories, too.

Depending on the age of your DD, perhaps a go-along book would be fun:

- The Enola Holmes mysteries (Springer) -- gr. 5-8

- The Case of the Baker Street Irregulars (Newman) -- gr. 6-8

- Sherlock Academy (Shaw) -- gr. 5-7

• Like 1

Since you've never read Sherlock Holmes, I thought I should give you a head's up. The first chapter of The Sign of the Four discusses Sherlock's cocaine use. He is debating whether he should do cocaine or morphine that morning.

Thanks for the heads up. She is almost 16 so I'm OK with it, but that answers the question of whether to do the audio book as a family.

I got for Barnes and Nible collected in one book thing and my essentially non-reader son read it cover to cover. Loved it. You don't really have to overthink this. :0)