Menu

Ramayana / Mahabharata / Bhagavad Gita for 3rd or 4th grade?

luuknam

What are your recommendations? I should be in the appropriate time period toward the end of 3rd grade (and yes, I know the Bhagavad Gita is part of the Mahabharata). Our library system seems to not have *any* kids' versions of these. A version with pictures would be great.

I highly recommend the Amar Chitra Katha comics.  These comics are how pretty much every kid is introduced to both the Ramayana and the Mahabharata.  I can't remember a time in my life when I did not read these comics.

My personal favorites of both these classics are the version written by Rajagopalachari.  I must have read both these when I was probably in 5th grade or so.

Note regarding the comics - the graphics are not what you might be used to in the Western culture.  The women are wearing midriff baring outfits and the men don't have shirts on.  The "killing" and "fightinf" scenes are not pretty.  It never bothered me nor does it bother kids in India but you probably should take a look at it before giving it to your child.

Bhagvad Gita would be too deep for a third grader.  If you tell me why you want to introduce it to your child, I can make suggestions.

HTH!

• Like 3

Bhagvad Gita would be too deep for a third grader.  If you tell me why you want to introduce it to your child, I can make suggestions.

Thanks. I'm not too familiar with any of these works, though I recall starting to read the Bhagavad Gita when I was 11 or so (from the children's section in the library), but didn't finish it (I think I didn't get very far at all). I just want to include some non-Western classics, so if the Ramayana is a better option, then I'll happily do the Ramayana.

I highly recommend the Amar Chitra Katha comics.  These comics are how pretty much every kid is introduced to both the Ramayana and the Mahabharata.  I can't remember a time in my life when I did not read these comics.

Note regarding the comics - the graphics are not what you might be used to in the Western culture.  The women are wearing midriff baring outfits and the men don't have shirts on.  The "killing" and "fightinf" scenes are not pretty.  It never bothered me nor does it bother kids in India but you probably should take a look at it before giving it to your child.

I just ordered a couple of 5-in-1 ACK comics. I'm pretty sure my kids will be fine with the graphics, and if not, they'll get to learn to be fine with them.

As a side note, for others reading this thread, I ordered "In Defense of the Realm" a little while ago, because I wanted something about the Indus Valley Civilization (much older than the Ramayana/Mahabharata etc). I haven't read the book yet, but just thought I'd mention it in case anyone reading this thread might be interested (if I remember I'll post back here and/or on Amazon with a quick review after I read it).

http://www.amazon.com/In-Defense-Realm-Graphic-Campfire/dp/9380028644/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8