Menu

So I'm feeling cranky about science. **Old Thread with an Update

KeriJ

Well, to update.  I grabbed a BJU 6th grade science book at a used book store last night, and I really like it.  Never had considered it before.  I like the layout, the color and the style of writing.  It seems it would be simple to narrate or outline.  But even the "review questions" are things like "sketch and explain".  The experiments look do-able.  It doesn't even have those 1.2, 1.3 sections that bug me! :)

I'm pleasantly surprised that I like it so much.

I would be hesitant about using BJU longer than necessary.  Their high school courses were deemed unsuitable for college prep by the California university system. It wasn't a creation/evo thing, it was a total lack of science and critical thinking thing. While it may seem doable, knowing that their courses do not progress in a rigorous or even satisfactory manner would make me leery about using it as more than a stop-gap.

I would be hesitant about using BJU longer than necessary.  Their high school courses were deemed unsuitable for college prep by the California university system. It wasn't a creation/evo thing, it was a total lack of science and critical thinking thing. While it may seem doable, knowing that their courses do not progress in a rigorous or even satisfactory manner would make me leery about using it as more than a stop-gap.

Not worried. :)

• Like 1

Well, to update. I grabbed a BJU 6th grade science book at a used book store last night, and I really like it. Never had considered it before. I like the layout, the color and the style of writing. It seems it would be simple to narrate or outline. But even the "review questions" are things like "sketch and explain". The experiments look do-able. It doesn't even have those 1.2, 1.3 sections that bug me! :)

I'm pleasantly surprised that I like it so much.

Two of my kids are doing BJU middle school science with the videos by Mrs. Vick. She is a fabulous teacher, and my kids know science well. They finished 6th grade and are halfway through 7th. I have a doctorate in a science field, but I have never been able to teach it well. I am so glad I found Mrs. Vick. One of my kids wants to go into a science field and be a researcher, and BJU is giving her a great foundation.

If you are interested in this, BJU usually has a big sale in December for their distance learning online programs (DLO--which are the videos we use). They usually offer each class for $99 for 12 months of use, not including books. That is what I buy.

One of my friends just uses the BJU science books without the videos, and she is happy doing the classes that way.

I can't comment on the high school level science because we have not used that level.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

My computer is weird, so I apologize for the weirdly edited first post. But I wanted to update that now that we've actually used the BJU book for a few weeks.....it's not quite what I had hoped. It's too dense for dd.

So, at the moment, she is doing SITB independently. :) We'll see how this goes.

• Like 1