Menu

Would doing both Apologia Chemistry and Adv. Chemistry in one year = AP?

You don't have to take an AP course to take the exam. The exam is what gives you the actual adv. placement credit. The course--and I believe they've gotten strict about who exactly can 'say' they have an AP course--is preparation for the exam.

From HSLDA:

In order for homeschoolers to label courses as “Advanced Placement†on their high school transcripts, the course syllabus must now be pre-approved by the College Board AP Central. (AP is a trademark and to use it without approval is illegal.)

But, yes, doing Apologia Chemistry and Advanced Chemistry, over however long, would be good preparation for the AP exam. I would probably add in an AP Chem study guide as well. As far as what to call it on a transcript, I'd call it "Advanced Chemistry", and note somewhere that it was preparation for the AP Exam. You could also do Chemistry over a year and Adv. Chemistry the next year, and take the AP exam then.

I How would I go about having my son recieve AP credit and taking the AP exam?

Hi Jean,

Starting last year, you have to go through the College Board audit to designate a class with the AP label. Also, I think Mrs. Riding Hood has written about her son's experience using Apologia Chem and Advanced Chem to prepare for the AP Chem exam.

HTH,

Lisa

I think an AP course is . . . a trademark or legal designation.

My understanding is anyone can take an AP test without having taken an AP "course."

The AP site (Is it college board?) is a good place to start of information, as well as all the good info that will be posted here too.

:-)

Also you can do it as an Honors course (not AP course)...That carries alot of weight.

Holly

The colleges/universities I've contacted all tell me that AP stands out because they know it's a known quantity. That is they know what the course consist of and have a standardized score to back that up.

However, they've all told me that honors courses mean different things to each school, even schools in the same district. For example, what's honors in one school is average in another so the scores and the designation are basically meaningless to them. Colleges/universities take the transcripts they get and delete the honors designation and readjust the GPA accordingly before processing it.

There may be a few colleges/universities that don't do this, but I haven't come across them yet.

HTH.

The colleges/universities I've contacted all tell me that AP stands out because they know it's a known quantity. That is they know what the course consist of and have a standardized score to back that up.

However' date=' they've all told me that honors courses mean different things to each school, even schools in the same district. For example, what's honors in one school is average in another so the scores and the designation are basically meaningless to them. Colleges/universities take the transcripts they get and delete the honors designation and readjust the GPA accordingly before processing it.

There may be a few colleges/universities that don't do this, but I haven't come across them yet.

HTH.[/quote']

An admissions officer at a highly regarded engineering school told us that "honors" on a homeschool transcript bears no weight for him. He has found that one parent's idea of "honors" is completely different than another parent's. He liked seeing AP or CC courses because they could align the syllabi of these courses with the syllabi at their university.

Caveat: this is one admissions offer from one school. Other admissions officers at that university or others may feel differently.

Wondering: would "honors" bear some weight with a significant SAT II score to back it up? (Or perhaps there is no need for the word "honors" if the score is sufficiently high. Let it speak for itself, you know? ;))

Jane

Wondering: would "honors" bear some weight with a significant SAT II score to back it up? (Or perhaps there is no need for the word "honors" if the score is sufficiently high. Let it speak for itself, you know? ;))

Jane

I forgot @ the SAT II test. I, too, wonder if it would make a difference to have honors and a good SAT II score in that subject?